3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Durango vs. explorer vs. traverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 PM
stuffedbackseat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango vs. explorer vs. traverse

from what i've read, the durango comes out on top, but i haven't driven the three. what are your thoughts on the matter?

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 07-02-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Removed Link
Old 03-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Durango is the only one with any attitude there. Plus I've got a little of that Mopar or no car mentality. Durango R/T all the way.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:49 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im pretty sure the explorer is a updated ford edge, I really hate ford, but the I did spend alot of time driving a awd edge with a 3.5 lt v/6 and I have to admit, I liked it, not box top heavy like the previous gen body on frame explorer that was a sail in the wind on icey roads.

AS for the durango, I like body on frame but Im not sold on its looks or pushy price, really its not all that much sense when a Ram 1500 has identical drive trian (hemi only ) for a way cheaper price and utility of a little wee box.

Dont know any thing abought the GM acaidia or the treverase.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:32 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Durango being a truck-based SUV like the grand cherokee doesnt really seem like a comparable rig here. The Explorer and Traverse are fwd based CUVs...the Journey would slot in a little better against these, i would think. The Durango definitely SHOULD spank the **** out of these...

Old 03-18-2012, 01:16 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Im pretty sure the explorer is a updated ford edge, I really hate ford, but the I did spend alot of time driving a awd edge with a 3.5 lt v/6 and I have to admit, I liked it, not box top heavy like the previous gen body on frame explorer that was a sail in the wind on icey roads.

AS for the durango, I like body on frame but Im not sold on its looks or pushy price, really its not all that much sense when a Ram 1500 has identical drive trian (hemi only ) for a way cheaper price and utility of a little wee box.

Dont know any thing abought the GM acaidia or the treverase.
The Explorer is based off of the Taurus's platform which was originally a Volvo S80 platform. The Edge is based off of the Fusion's platform which was originally a Mazda 6 platform. They are unrelated.

In my perspective, this should be a comparison of either the Grand Caravan vs. the Explorer vs. the Transverse; or the Journey vs. the Explorer vs. the Transverse. The Durango is the only one that is a true SUV, the Explorer is station wagon with a taller roof and the Traverse is a Minivan without the sliding doors. The Journey is a station wagon plain and simple. If I had to pick between the Transverse or the Explorer (neither one does anything for me to be honest), I'd take the Explorer. I trust the NA Ford Cyclone V6 a lot more than the timing chain snapping GM High Feature V6 (I still can't believe the best name they could come up with was something that I'd expect Wal-Mart to use for a house brand merchandise made by the lowest bidder).

Quick Reply: Durango vs. explorer vs. traverse