3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

New owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:42 PM
OMNIHUGE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner with questions

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and just had a few questions. First off I just recently purchased a 2012 mineral gray crew durango v6, with leather, 20" wheels, and 730n radio. I really enjoy the vehicle so far.

I required the tow package for my ski boat, but the dealer said they would have to install it, as it did not come with one. They insisted it would not affect the tow rating and everything would be like factory. The hitch and wiring are still on order, but while I checked the undercarriage I noticed a donut style spare tire as well.

I guess right now my question is for those have have the tow package do they have a matching full size wheel under their vehicle, or a full size steel wheel. I want to make sure the dealer installs the correct thing, as they have kinda jerked me around so far.

Also wondering if anyone has found a good cargo mat for the rear area of the vehicle with the third row down? I'm looking for a good mat for my rottweiller to maintain the interior of the vehicle.

Thanks all,
Mark

Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 AM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, congrats on your purchase. Here is what the Dodge site says the tow package contains.
The Trailer Tow Group IV provides equipment vital for heavy duty towing applications. The package includes:

Class IV receiver hitch

7 and 4 pin wiring harness

Heavy-duty cooling

Rear load leveling suspension

220 amp alternator

Full-size spare tire

Old 03-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Creekbuster

If it's a add(dealer) on then you may not get all that is listed as factory installed. My Durango had the hitch installed by the dealer. It consisted of the hitch and wiring only. It looks like a factory installed hitch and has the same towing capacity as far as weight. If you are going to be towing a lot then I would check with the dealer to make sure they install the entire towing package.

I believe weathertech has a good rear cargo cover. I have the front and passenger set only and really like them.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:08 PM
ramdanimal
Rookie

I have the factory tow package and it came with a full size spare (although that equates to an 18" steel wheel - not a matching 20" wheel). They are both the same circumference though.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:05 PM
OMNIHUGE

Thanks for the replies. Yea they assured me that the durango would come with all the same items as the tow package included, but I kind of knew better. I'll have to call and see if they can at least work with me on a full size spare though. I'll be towing my 18' ski boat for now, so max capacity isn't a huge deal. I love this vehicle, but dealerships really get on my nerves.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 PM
gi02sl

I'm noticing a trend on this forum. I wanted the factory tow package, dealer couldn't find one and said, "That's ok, we can install the hitch." In reality, they offered a solution that was different than what I was asking for. Unfortunately, I was unaware of the verbal gymnastics until after the fact; now I know "the tow package" isn't just a hitch (cost was close to the same). Disappointing.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Henny

OMNIHUGE

Big ups on your new purchase, looks like all your questions have been answered. Dealerships will tell you anything to close a deal. I know for fact you will not get everything that comes with the factory equipped tow package, but you will be ok. I ran into the same issue and the dealer swapped my truck. Long hassle!! Took 2 weeks to get my new Durango, Brilliant Black!!

Factory tow package up to 6200LBS, Dealer added tow package, up to 3500LBS...I saw the 3500LBS specs, on an Android phone app from dodge. I too have a boat 19" jet boat, weighing in at 4700LBS with gas and no gear...Needed the load level for sho! I'm sure the truck will pull your boat no prob, just monitor the cooling system.

Quick Reply: New owner with questions