3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Durango Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 AM
CFUSION
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango Lemon?

Hello everyone. I registered to ask you all about this situation. I bought a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee last month. I love it. Turns out though that I am going to need the 3rd row seat as my kids keep fighting in the back. Yeah I know, should have known this. Anyway. I went to trade for a 2012 Durango Crew. Found the one I want and have it at my house right now. I have not purchased this yet. I did an overnight test drive. The truck is very nice but it has some issues that I will outline here:

1. The rear quarter window is popped out and not properly seated.
2. The seal on the drivers door is warped.
3. The left muffler is pushed in by 2 whole inches compared to the right one.
4. Under the hood are massive paint bubbles along the front fender.
5. I swear when my wife drove it I saw smoke coming out of the exhaust.
6. When I remote start it the engine shuts off after 10 seconds.

Is this a total lemon? Should I just go get my jeep back or are these problems common on the Durango? I'm so pissed because there are no Durangos for 200 miles with the options i want and this one has them. HELP!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:05 AM
rdkind62
Professional

I can't say that what you are finding on that one is typical of most Durango's produced. A couple people have mentioned small issues such as a misalligned door that the dealer was easily able to take care of, but it sounds like the one you are driving has more significant issues. I think I would continue to look around, or order one exactly like you want it and have it delivered. I'm sure your kids won't kill each other in the few weeks it takes to get the new one. Bottom line is I'd say pass on this one.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:56 AM
ericemery
Retired Administrator
Hall of Fame Member

I agree. These aren't common issues. From the sounds of it, this Durango has already led a rough life.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You just bought a 2012 Grand Cherokee and are trading it in (and obviously losing your a$$ on the deal) because your kids are fighting?

It's little wonder why this country is in the shape it's in anymore.

Take those damn kids over your knee, beat their natural a$$es and keep the damn vehicle you obviously wanted in the first place!!!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:38 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CFUSION
Hello everyone. I registered to ask you all about this situation. I bought a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee last month. I love it. Turns out though that I am going to need the 3rd row seat as my kids keep fighting in the back. Yeah I know, should have known this. Anyway. I went to trade for a 2012 Durango Crew. Found the one I want and have it at my house right now. I have not purchased this yet. I did an overnight test drive. The truck is very nice but it has some issues that I will outline here:

1. The rear quarter window is popped out and not properly seated.
2. The seal on the drivers door is warped.
3. The left muffler is pushed in by 2 whole inches compared to the right one.
4. Under the hood are massive paint bubbles along the front fender.
5. I swear when my wife drove it I saw smoke coming out of the exhaust.
6. When I remote start it the engine shuts off after 10 seconds.

Is this a total lemon? Should I just go get my jeep back or are these problems common on the Durango? I'm so pissed because there are no Durangos for 200 miles with the options i want and this one has them. HELP!

CFusion,

I wouldn't buy it. If you found all this in just one night, what else may be wrong with it you didn't discover? I would continue the search or order a new one to get exactly what you want. Might be a pain until the new one comes in but no where near the aggravation of thinking to yourself later, "why did I buy this thing".

Old 03-15-2012, 10:11 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You just bought a 2012 Grand Cherokee and are trading it in (and obviously losing your a$$ on the deal) because your kids are fighting?

It's little wonder why this country is in the shape it's in anymore.

Take those damn kids over your knee, beat their natural a$$es and keep the damn vehicle you obviously wanted in the first place!!!
+10!

Would you buy a different house because your kids don't like the closet too? Holy hell, show the kids who the boss is for crying out loud.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:08 PM
bportman
Professional

The shutting down is prob the result of being low on fuel.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:06 AM
CFUSION
Rookie
Default Got the Crew!

Ok so I took it back to them and insisted they fix it before I buy it ofcourse. Well they hooked it up to the diagnostics machine and said everything checks out and they can't fix what isn't broken. When I left it it still would not remote start. Full tank of gas in it by the way.

So I gave up on that one and decided to get the R/T they had. Test drove it and felt a clunking in the steering column and the breaks were SQUEALING bigtime. Asked them to fix this one before I bought it and they said see you later, we don't want to sell you a car no more. Yeah.

So I went to another dealer that I trust. Didn't go there first because they didn't have any durangos on the lot. Called them and they just got on in today off the truck. It is a crew with nav, 730N radio (I wanted the 430N), sunroof, 5.7L hemi, and the color I wanted which is the Mineral gray on black interior. The only thing I doesn't have is leather and I really wanted that. Anyways it was still in the wrapping when I went to look at it. They gave me a decent deal on it so I pick it up tomorrow. This one works great. Drives nicer than the rest and is cheaper.

Funny thing. The R/T was a slow dog. You could tell as soon as you started driving. The Crew feels really peppy. I feel that these durangos built before 2012 have many issues. Here is hoping mine built 3/12 is problem free. I also like that in 2012 build year not model year they changed the Dodge symbol to DODGE// with the last two slashes in red. Looks cool.

Now to get some leather seat surfaces, swap someone for a 430N. Any takers? Brand new 730N even swap. Some rims, I am thinking SRT REPS in matt black and some kind of DVD drop down system.

Also, anyone know how to remove the stereo in the Durango?

Old 03-16-2012, 08:00 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Stereo is easy in concept, but the fit is tight. Remove the liner from the tray below the HVAC controls, remove the 2 bolts inside the cubby, work your way around the edges to pop the whole trim piece off, be sure to carefully disconnect the electrical connectors on the backside of the trim piece and then just 4 bolts hold the head unit.

Great set of pics in this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...4-install.html

Quick Reply: Durango Lemon?