3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

WiFi in D??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:50 AM
moparmommy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WiFi in D??

I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if this is a totally lame question!

Does the D have WiFi, I guess basically like a mobile hot spot?? My husband and I opted to not get the rear entertainment center, I figured we could mount the iPad to the headrest and she will be kept entertained... but if I could play netflix off of the iPad, that would be awesome! Any ideas, tips, useful knowledge you feel like sharing, would all be greatly appreciated!!! =) TIA

Old 06-15-2012, 05:56 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Nope, no Wifi. You could purchase movies via iTunes or rip and convert your own DVDs to play on the iPad so that you have a decent selection.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:25 AM
VenomR/T
Amateur

Uconnect site says it's a dealer-installed Mopar accessory

http://www.driveuconnect.com/system/.../touch730nrhr/

Get online on-the-go

Uconnect® with available WiFi+ by Mopar, enables all your passengers to be simultaneously connected to the Web. Any WiFi-enabled device – such as a laptop or other portable wifi enabled multimedia – can connect over your private mobile network. And no cell cards or software is required.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:54 AM
coldsteel
Captain

I forgot about the availability of the accessory. The following is from the Website.

Since this is ultimately a cellular service, despite its emphasis on WiFi, the pricing will be complex: "The U.S. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the router module is $449," Chrysler says. "Dealer installation is estimated at approximately $35-50. Autonet Mobile offers wireless Internet account service at $29 a month, available in 12-, 24- and 36-month service plans. There is a one-time $35 service activation fee. Customer support assistance for hardware and service is available."

If you have Verizon Wireless, wait until after June 28 when the new pricing plans come out. You'll be able to share data among several devices and I believe Mobile Hotspot via your phone will now be Free as long as the phone has the appropriate data plan.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 PM
moparmommy
Amateur

Thanks! I will look into the online-on-the-go.. I have AT&T for cell coverage :-/
I guess for now, we will keep doing what we have been, like Coldsteel first said with iTunes.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 PM
OrlandoDurango
Amateur

I just use my cellphone's tethering capability to provide wifi for long trips. The phone creates a v i r t u a l (board thinks that is a bad word for some reason) wifi access point so all of your devices can connect to your phone's wifi access point and share the phone's data connection.

I use a Galaxy Nexus for this and it is flawless in getting my daughter's ipad internet access and netflix (watch out for your data limits on this one) and my son's psp can do online gaming as well.

Check with your phone/cell service to see if that is available.

Originally Posted by moparmommy
I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if this is a totally lame question!

Does the D have WiFi, I guess basically like a mobile hot spot?? My husband and I opted to not get the rear entertainment center, I figured we could mount the iPad to the headrest and she will be kept entertained... but if I could play netflix off of the iPad, that would be awesome! Any ideas, tips, useful knowledge you feel like sharing, would all be greatly appreciated!!! =) TIA

Last edited by OrlandoDurango; 06-15-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: v i r t u a l.... this is a bad word?
Old 06-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Singh81
Amateur

I find that 3G sucks for streaming netflix. The wife and I drove from STL to New Orleans on 55 and the service was horrible. Around town might be ok. I would recommend going pay as as you use 4G mobile hotspot. Im not sure if verizon or at t offer prepaid 4g mobile hot spots.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:03 PM
happyfirst
Professional

I thought the Citadel already had that module. Anyways, I'd consider it IF

1) They'd offer a daily rate (no activation fee). I have no need for wifi at $30 a month, but I'd pay $20 via a quick online signup for a day's service. I'd probably use it 3-4 times a year? If that.
2) The module was already included.

I wonder if there are any stats on how many of these they actually activate?

In the end, probably cheaper to try and setup one of our Sprint phones as a hotspot. Maybe that's the better idea, that phone companies offer a daily rate for allowing a phone to be a hotspot?

Quick Reply: WiFi in D??