3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

new owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:02 AM
SUNBURNTsnype
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner questions

Hey guys, tomorrow morning im going in to pick up a 2012 r/t, and i have a few questions id like to try and find out answers to before I go in.

1) is there any kind of break-in schedule/limitations for driving the HEMI brand new "out of the box"?

2)Does anyone know what brand of synthetic 5w20 the Dodge dealerships use? I want to use a synthetic in the new D right off the bat, but I want to make sure to keep the brand the same so i dont mix oils, and I want to be able to use the same oil as the dealerships in case i take it in for an oil change or do it myself.

3)Does the new D come from the factory with conventional oil or synthetic, and if it is conventional, and I want to change to synthetic, do i need to drain and flush it or do anything special, or can i just do a normal oil change and just pour the synthetic right in?

4)What kind of extended warranties did any of you guys get or decline to get and why?

5)Are there any accessories or extras to check and make sure are in the truck when I get it? Does it come with a rear cargo shade that clips in the back or floormats?

6)any other tips or advice for picking up the new D?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:45 AM
navyjetmech
Rookie

Originally Posted by SUNBURNTsnype
Hey guys, tomorrow morning im going in to pick up a 2012 r/t, and i have a few questions id like to try and find out answers to before I go in.

1) is there any kind of break-in schedule/limitations for driving the HEMI brand new "out of the box"?

2)Does anyone know what brand of synthetic 5w20 the Dodge dealerships use? I want to use a synthetic in the new D right off the bat, but I want to make sure to keep the brand the same so i dont mix oils, and I want to be able to use the same oil as the dealerships in case i take it in for an oil change or do it myself.

3)Does the new D come from the factory with conventional oil or synthetic, and if it is conventional, and I want to change to synthetic, do i need to drain and flush it or do anything special, or can i just do a normal oil change and just pour the synthetic right in?

4)What kind of extended warranties did any of you guys get or decline to get and why?

5)Are there any accessories or extras to check and make sure are in the truck when I get it? Does it come with a rear cargo shade that clips in the back or floormats?

6)any other tips or advice for picking up the new D?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Hi and welcome and enjoy your Durango

1) Directly from the owners manual: Page 95- ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS: A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. For more information read the manual.

2) Depends what dealership you go to. Every dealer uses different oil. Some dealers use more than one brand. I have no clue what brand oil the manufacturer put in. The brand of oil you use is consumer preference.

3) It comes with conventional oil. Yes just drain out the old oil ,change the filter and put in the new oil.

4) I got the 100,000 mile power train warranty that dodge was promoting at the time, because it was a included. You can buy a extended warranty from DODGE anytime before the 3year/36,000 mile warranty runs out. You don't have to buy it the day you drive it off the lot.
I was a fan of extended warranties but I quit buying them. I found myself never using them for what I paid for them. A tie rod here or there a condenser here or there. The number of times I had repairs done under an extended warranty never equaled to the thousands of dollars I paid for the extended warranties. I mean sure you hear the stories of people getting a new engine for just the price of a deductible. Let's face it they wouldn't sale extended warranties if there was not a huge profit in them. Do some research on Google even the "Experts" feel that the amount of money spent on extended warranties are much higher than what the "regular" consumer is paying for the repairs out right. Cars today are made better than they were years ago if you properly maintain a vehicle it will last years and thousands of miles without any major breakdowns. Here is an idea take $2000.00 put it in a CD or mutual fund for 3-6 years, just make sure you have access to the money if you need it and let it make you money while you are waiting in your vehicle to break down.
- I feel my OPINION it's not worth the money.
- I am just stating my OPINION because I feel people need to make decisions on the facts. NOT on scare tactics that the automobile industry has drilled into our society. This is not meant to offend anyone just my 2 cents.

5). I always check for a inflated spare, a jack and all the owners manual. Yes all the mats should be there including the third row, if not ask for them. I think the cargo shade is an extra option that is not included maybe someone else can chime in on that. I did not get one. If you are suppose to get one it should be listed on the window sticker.

6). Enjoy it and maintain it in accordance with the owners manual. Get the front windows tinted if they are not already.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 AM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and welcome!

Old 06-16-2012, 04:48 PM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

R/T's do not come with the cargo shade. You can pick one up on eBay much cheaper than the stealership.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:29 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BubbaRadioNetwork
R/T's do not come with the cargo shade. You can pick one up on eBay much cheaper than the stealership.
+1... I believe I paid $65 shipped for mine on ebay!

Old 06-16-2012, 11:52 PM
SUNBURNTsnype
Professional

Well, thanks for all the help and info guys! I picked it up today, and my wife and I are stoked on it! Got a killer deal using USAA's car buying service and the existing factory rebates. I also got a second set of owners manuals cause the salesman didn't know about the "secret slot" above the glove box( I read about it in one of the threads, thanks), got the extended warranty to cover me out 7 yr/100,000 bumper to bumper, LoJack and a free synthetic oil change!

Old 06-17-2012, 12:21 AM
SUNBURNTsnype
Professional

Originally Posted by navyjetmech
Hi and welcome and enjoy your Durango

1) Directly from the owners manual: Page 95- ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS: A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. For more information read the manual.

2) Depends what dealership you go to. Every dealer uses different oil. Some dealers use more than one brand. I have no clue what brand oil the manufacturer put in. The brand of oil you use is consumer preference.

3) It comes with conventional oil. Yes just drain out the old oil ,change the filter and put in the new oil.

4) I got the 100,000 mile power train warranty that dodge was promoting at the time, because it was a included. You can buy a extended warranty from DODGE anytime before the 3year/36,000 mile warranty runs out. You don't have to buy it the day you drive it off the lot.
I was a fan of extended warranties but I quit buying them. I found myself never using them for what I paid for them. A tie rod here or there a condenser here or there. The number of times I had repairs done under an extended warranty never equaled to the thousands of dollars I paid for the extended warranties. I mean sure you hear the stories of people getting a new engine for just the price of a deductible. Let's face it they wouldn't sale extended warranties if there was not a huge profit in them. Do some research on Google even the "Experts" feel that the amount of money spent on extended warranties are much higher than what the "regular" consumer is paying for the repairs out right. Cars today are made better than they were years ago if you properly maintain a vehicle it will last years and thousands of miles without any major breakdowns. Here is an idea take $2000.00 put it in a CD or mutual fund for 3-6 years, just make sure you have access to the money if you need it and let it make you money while you are waiting in your vehicle to break down.
- I feel my OPINION it's not worth the money.
- I am just stating my OPINION because I feel people need to make decisions on the facts. NOT on scare tactics that the automobile industry has drilled into our society. This is not meant to offend anyone just my 2 cents.

5). I always check for a inflated spare, a jack and all the owners manual. Yes all the mats should be there including the third row, if not ask for them. I think the cargo shade is an extra option that is not included maybe someone else can chime in on that. I did not get one. If you are suppose to get one it should be listed on the window sticker.

6). Enjoy it and maintain it in accordance with the owners manual. Get the front windows tinted if they are not already.

Hey thanks for all the great info! I had looked through the owners manual i downloaded off the web trying to find the break-in procedures, but I guess I had been looking in the wrong section. I was looking in the maintenance schedule section; and just kinda skimmed over the "things to check before starting" section, and missed it. So thanks for pointing that out for me; I was able to use that in my negotiating with the dealer today. They had to drive the D down from another dealer about 75 miles away(it was a dealer trade to get me what I wanted), and I told them I had no way of knowing how it was driven during those 75 miles and if the proper break-in procedures had been observed or not by the driver, so they should give me a free oil change to synthetic oil so I can ensure the rings are properly lubricated and wear in properly. A bunch of BS I know but hey I got a free oil change out of it!

Also I appreciated your insight about the extended warranty, but we plan on keeping the D for the long haul and all those electronic control modules and Sensors and stuff can be expensive once the factory warranty runs out at 36,000 miles, so we decided to go for it, plus got that knocked down in price cause the D arrived a week later than they had first told us and kept changing the delivery date, so that gave me more leverage to negotiate. Also got the LoJack for low price. Now just gotta get me a sunshade for the back. Think I'll start checking eBay.

Anybody know where to look to find what kinds of mods are ok and don't void any warranties and which ones do? I don't remember getting any papers with fine print about that for the warranty.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:11 AM
navyjetmech
Rookie

Originally Posted by SUNBURNTsnype
Hey thanks for all the great info! I had looked through the owners manual i downloaded off the web trying to find the break-in procedures, but I guess I had been looking in the wrong section. I was looking in the maintenance schedule section; and just kinda skimmed over the "things to check before starting" section, and missed it. So thanks for pointing that out for me; I was able to use that in my negotiating with the dealer today. They had to drive the D down from another dealer about 75 miles away(it was a dealer trade to get me what I wanted), and I told them I had no way of knowing how it was driven during those 75 miles and if the proper break-in procedures had been observed or not by the driver, so they should give me a free oil change to synthetic oil so I can ensure the rings are properly lubricated and wear in properly. A bunch of BS I know but hey I got a free oil change out of it!

Also I appreciated your insight about the extended warranty, but we plan on keeping the D for the long haul and all those electronic control modules and Sensors and stuff can be expensive once the factory warranty runs out at 36,000 miles, so we decided to go for it, plus got that knocked down in price cause the D arrived a week later than they had first told us and kept changing the delivery date, so that gave me more leverage to negotiate. Also got the LoJack for low price. Now just gotta get me a sunshade for the back. Think I'll start checking eBay.

Anybody know where to look to find what kinds of mods are OK and don't void any warranties and which ones do? I don't remember getting any papers with fine print about that for the warranty.
Yep no problem. Sounds like you did pretty well with the negotiations. As far as mods are concerned Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty."Some dealerships may say 'just because you have a [cold air] intake or something' that the whole vehicle warranty is voided, "That's not true."
The saving grace for consumers is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.
However, if the reason for a parts failure is unclear, a dealer will usually charge you to diagnose the vehicle. If the aftermarket part was not properly installed or a modification led to a component failure, it is within the dealer's right to void the warranty for that part, and you will have to pay for the repairs out of pocket. If the aftermarket parts had nothing to do with the repairs in question, you will be refunded the fee for the diagnosis.

Quick Reply: new owner questions