3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

How far away does your remote start work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 PM
2012sxt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine works great...was at hospital the other day and started it from the moment i walked out the door of the hospital, car was in garage 250ft away

Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 AM
RustyRT

A little tip, put the remote up to the bottom of your chin when you are a further distance away. I know it sounds strange but your body becomes an antenna and you will gain some yardage on the remote start up! I learned this tip from a valet many years ago and i swear by it to this day. It also works for any basic electronic stock and aftermarket car door opener/alarm remote...

Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 AM
dohcboost

Originally Posted by RustyRT
A little tip, put the remote up to the bottom of your chin when you are a further distance away. I know it sounds strange but your body becomes an antenna and you will gain some yardage on the remote start up! I learned this tip from a valet many years ago and i swear by it to this day. It also works for any basic electronic stock and aftermarket car door opener/alarm remote...
I think I am beyond that. This morning i did an experiment before i came into the office. I could not get the car to lock, unlock, start or the hatch to open from 4 car spaces away. I tried each feature 6-7 times. There were no other cars between myself and the Durango.

I am actually in communication with the other forum member that was having this same issue last year. 3 Dealers have yet to find a fix for his problem so Im not sure I will have any luck either.

This probably doesn’t fall under the lemon law, but its ridiculous that I have to walk out in front of my house so I can make sure my Durango is locked. What’s the point of it if it’s a few more feet that having to use the key?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:27 AM
2012sxt
Professional

Originally Posted by dohcboost
I think I am beyond that. This morning i did an experiment before i came into the office. I could not get the car to lock, unlock, start or the hatch to open from 4 car spaces away. I tried each feature 6-7 times. There were no other cars between myself and the Durango.

I am actually in communication with the other forum member that was having this same issue last year. 3 Dealers have yet to find a fix for his problem so Im not sure I will have any luck either.

This probably doesn’t fall under the lemon law, but its ridiculous that I have to walk out in front of my house so I can make sure my Durango is locked. What’s the point of it if it’s a few more feet that having to use the key?
have you tried replacing the battery in the key fob? Does it do the same thing with both key fobs?

Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dohcboost
I am the proud owner of a 2012 R/T. Love the vehicle for the most part, but have a question about how well other peoples remote starts work.

The farthest i have gotten my remote start to work has been apx. 30 feet. Most times i have to be within 15 feet to get it started.

The dealership has already replaced both keys so I want to get a feel on what my expectations should be. I dont want to leave my car at the dealership for another full day and get 0 results. Thanks.
Dohcboost,

The service bulletins I could find on the issue all point to a bad connection with regard to the antennae or the antennae itself being the problem. Hopefully the dealer will locate the problem for you as 15 feet is not satisfactory at all.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:51 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RustyRT
old skool trick putting those fillings to good use!

Old 07-11-2012, 04:07 PM
dohcboost

I have actually had both keys replaced, so i expect its not the battery.

Originally Posted by 2012sxt
have you tried replacing the battery in the key fob? Does it do the same thing with both key fobs?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 PM
dohcboost

Thanks for the info. I will ask my dealer to take a look and see what they can do.

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Dohcboost,

The service bulletins I could find on the issue all point to a bad connection with regard to the antennae or the antennae itself being the problem. Hopefully the dealer will locate the problem for you as 15 feet is not satisfactory at all.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:54 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Anyone know where the antenna is? Being into radio as a hobby, I'd like to extend the range by putting in a longer wire.

I tried mine today at about 150 feet, and no go. Then got it at 100 feet. This was at work out in the country, nowhere near a cell tower, and with one row of cars between. I park about 200 feet from the building and this winter it would be great not having to run out in the frozen tundra to start it.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Shaun.Perry
Rookie

Originally Posted by bbtkd
Anyone know where the antenna is? Being into radio as a hobby, I'd like to extend the range by putting in a longer wire.

I tried mine today at about 150 feet, and no go. Then got it at 100 feet. This was at work out in the country, nowhere near a cell tower, and with one row of cars between. I park about 200 feet from the building and this winter it would be great not having to run out in the frozen tundra to start it.
I Believe it is some where near the dash area, from what i can make out on the www.mopar.com website under electrical, key fobs and pcm section. im guessing it runs along the top of the dash underneath the light sensor and front speaker, purely a guess based on the bad image.

Quick Reply: How far away does your remote start work?