3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

730N copying large number of MP3's from USB to HD

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:14 PM
fbures
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=safford197;2845162]If the transfer is interrupted it will have to start from the beginning. I have only a little over 8gb and gave up since it's so stupidly slow. For less then $12 I bought a usb drive no bigger then my thumb nail from amazon.

Well, that's basically what I have now. However, I was under impression that only HD gives you sorting and searching by title, artist, style etc. USB stick does not allow me to play anything else than a random or sequential songs. At least I have not figured out how to sort the contents of the USB stick on the 730N (USB drive as you call it).
That's the main reason I wanted to transfer everything to the HD.

Cheers
Frank

Old 08-13-2012, 03:10 PM
SadaraS
Professional

Transfer does not start over if it's interrupted, as in the D is not on. It'll pick up where it left off.

You cannot use an external drive that is connected with a cable. I tried that wouldn't connect, had to use a USB Stick Drive.

Once the files are copied to the HD, then you'll be able to sort by artist, song, album, title, etc etc. But, they need to be copied to the HD.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 AM
fbures

Originally Posted by SadaraS
Transfer does not start over if it's interrupted, as in the D is not on. It'll pick up where it left off.

You cannot use an external drive that is connected with a cable. I tried that wouldn't connect, had to use a USB Stick Drive.

Once the files are copied to the HD, then you'll be able to sort by artist, song, album, title, etc etc. But, they need to be copied to the HD.
Thanks. BTW, I think all this stuff should have been included in the 730N manual. Frank

Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 AM
SadaraS
Professional

I agree, I had to go through a lot of trial and error to get this figured out.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Shaun.Perry
Rookie

You can definitely use a portable hard drive with all your music on it. I am currently using a western digital mini one, i believe they call it the passport. its 1TB. i have about 60gb of music on it. you just have to do these few steps to make it work.

1. format the hard drive from NTFS to FAT32.
2. Copy music from computer to hard drive.
3. plug it into the radio via the front USB. Seems the center console solely works for MP3 devices like, Zune, IPOD etc...
4. Viola! however the folders are made on the drive is how they show up on the radio.

For Ease i have all my music in itunes so i just copied the music folder and pasted it in the drive because the folder structure has already been made. the only gotcha is that the radio only plays MP3 or WAV files. iTunes is in .M4A format so hopefully you let it keep its original format rather then let it switch to .M4A when you bought or imported the music. if not you have to convert the itunes format to MP3 then it will work.

here is the video of response and lag time and how it shows all the info

http://youtu.be/iwS7AWSr3DA?hd=1

Last edited by Shaun.Perry; 08-15-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 AM
SadaraS
Professional

Originally Posted by Shaun.Perry

1. format the hard drive from NTFS to FAT32.
For me that would be a huge NO! Wasn't going to reformat my drive, which happens to be the exact same brand and model that you have. Personally, I was fine with copying my music with a couple of USB stick drives instead.

Besides, my external drive is used for SO much more than music. It had to stay NTFS.

Quick Reply: 730N copying large number of MP3's from USB to HD