3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Project R/T conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 02:17 AM
CFUSION
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project R/T conversion

Love the look of the R/T but needed the roof racks and went with a crew. Now I'm kind of regretting it but I love my Durango. Can you all help me convert this to an R/T? I know I need new springs, front lower facia, side skirts, painted wheel wells and rear bumper. I have the 5.7L so thats good, at least I won't be too much of a Poser. LOL. Anybody know the part numbers and prices of these items, how to get them and where, whats involved in installing them etc? This is what I have now. It has the Jeep 20" rims on it and I like them so don't need new rims.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:02 AM
bbtkd
Veteran

Don't forget the exhaust, louder on the R/T. Would suggest going aftermarket though since many R/T owners end up doing that.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:57 AM
12HemiR/T
Professional

This thread has most of the suspension component part numbers. I would recommend www.mopar.com too

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...t-numbers.html

Old 08-25-2012, 10:55 AM
CFUSION
Rookie

Originally Posted by 12HemiR/T
This thread has most of the suspension component part numbers. I would recommend www.mopar.com too

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...t-numbers.html

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2012, 11:14 AM
PowerDDanger
Professional

Originally Posted by CFUSION
Love the look of the R/T but needed the roof racks and went with a crew. Now I'm kind of regretting it but I love my Durango. Can you all help me convert this to an R/T? I know I need new springs, front lower facia, side skirts, painted wheel wells and rear bumper. I have the 5.7L so thats good, at least I won't be too much of a Poser. LOL. Anybody know the part numbers and prices of these items, how to get them and where, whats involved in installing them etc? This is what I have now. It has the Jeep 20" rims on it and I like them so don't need new rims.

You're going to spend 3 times more money trying to convert it to a R/T than if you had just purchased a R/T. If you really want one go make a trade and see what your dealership will do for you.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:08 PM
CFUSION
Rookie

Originally Posted by PowerDDanger
You're going to spend 3 times more money trying to convert it to a R/T than if you had just purchased a R/T. If you really want one go make a trade and see what your dealership will do for you.

The problem is the roof racks. Done right they might not rust but who does them right? I'm not going to attempt that. Plus I'm in Florida where the salt air and water gets in everything so rust is a huge issue. I would have to order one here anyways as they don't sell 4 wheel drive models here very oftern and get R/T models even less often than that. That whole issue and the fact I like the cloth for Florida makes me like mine better. I just want it to look mean like the R/T. I'm not all that interested in even redoing the suspension or the mufflers. Just the appearance. I hate the chrome on the side skirts and front dam. Maybe I will just look at doing my lights in black and ordering the ground effects and painted cross bar grill from the R/T. That would make me happy.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:27 PM
safford197
Professional

I think it's a beautiful ride just as is!

I agree with PowerDDanger, save your $$ and go get an R/T for the 2014 model year when the D gets the 8 speed transmission. I wanted a loaded R/T but took a citadel because thats what the dealer had on the lot and was willing to negotiate. I like the look of either one so getting an extra 2% off helped me decide. If money is still cheap I will buy a 2014 to get the 8 speed and hopefully an updated navigation head unit. I just hope they keep the V8 with the 8 speed - the Mercedes this Durango is based on has the 8 speed (soon to get a 9 speed) but doesn't have a V8 option. Although the V6 with the 8 speed can boast better numbers at the track I just love the stock grumble of the V8.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:10 PM
jwr9152
Professional

Good thing you don't want the springs, I've had them on back order for a month. Can't get an official date on when I might get them.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:24 PM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also need the headlights, the grill, the painted rear Dodge piece, interior, and I think the R/T even has bigger brakes!

Old 08-25-2012, 05:44 PM
wildspeed
Professional

The crew is also governor limited at 110 with the 18' wheel.
Need the get a programmer out soon....

Quick Reply: Project R/T conversion