3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

730N and iPod

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 AM
fbures
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 730N and iPod

Hi,

I would appreciate your opinions about best ways of connecting iPod to 730N.

I did some research and I found a MOPAR part # 82212160, which is supposed to do that. However, the description says that you still have to control your iPod on the iPod itself and that it uses an open FM frequency to play the sound. It disqualifies this accessory in Ontario immediately as we have a law prohibiting usage of hand-held electronics gadgets while driving and there are basically no open FM frequencies in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).
What's make this part even more nonsensical is that to achieve much better functionality I could just plug the iPod's headphones output into the auxiliary jack of 730N, no MOPAR parts necessary.

I tried to use iPod via USB port in the middle console as well. I can stop and start the playback and jump from song to song from the 730N or steering wheel, but I cannot play playlists, just all songs altogether either randomly or sequentially.

I figured that if I chose a playlist on the iPod and connected it to the USB port later, it would play that particular playlist via 730N. The playlist however cannot be easily changed (iPod has to be unplugged from the USB) and what's more, iPod somehow does not like this mode of operation and goes into deep space from time to time requiring complete system reset to bring it back to life.

What is your experience with iPod connections to 730N? Any excellent ideas?

Thanks
Frank

Old 09-18-2012, 11:51 AM
diggy33
Professional

Works fine just for mine, and I'm able to switch playlists/artists/albums at any time.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM
20crew11
Amateur

What type of ipod are you using? You should be able to use the white ipod data transfer cable in the center console and control the ipod on the 730n screen.

Connect the ipod, push the AUX icon on the top of the screen and select the proper device. Playlists, artists, genre, etc. should be there.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:00 PM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fbures
I tried to use iPod via USB port in the middle console as well. I can stop and start the playback and jump from song to song from the 730N or steering wheel, but I cannot play playlists, just all songs altogether either randomly or sequentially.
Frank

Sounds like you are connect the USB cable, but actually playing the iPod over Bluetooth. Is it an iPod Touch or iPhone? Because what you are describing is the characteristics of bluetooth playback. When I connect my iPhone or 3rd Gen iPod, I simply press the little music note icon on the bottom right of the audio playback screen and it brings up the menu of whether to play Artists, Albums, Playlists, Podcasts, etc.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:33 PM
OldRock

Mine works fine as well, as described by DJ Hellfire.

However, I must say that the user interface stinks. I have 9,000 tracks on my iPod with hundreds of albums. If you want to find a song by title it shows 5 or 6 tracks at a time, starting at the beginning. That's 1800 screen touches to get to one near the end! And if you hit a bump just as you're touching "Next" and hit the wrong button, you start all over again, from the first song. It should at least allow selection by first letter, as on the iPod. Have I missed something?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 AM
fbures

Thanks to everyone. I got it working.

Cheers
Frank

Quick Reply: 730N and iPod