3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Re-calibrate TPMS sensors after rotating wheels/tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 01:21 PM
SUNBURNTsnype
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-calibrate TPMS sensors after rotating wheels/tires?

Hey guys, just got my tires rotated with last oil change. Is there any procedure that must be done to re-calibrate the TPMS sensors in the wheels to their new positions? Also got me thinking, does the spare tire have a TPMS sensor in it, and if not, I wonder if you would get an TPMS warning light if you drove with a spare in place of one of the wheels?

Also, I know the sticker on the drivers door sill has the recommended tire pressure for the vehicle; mine says 36 PSI, but the tire itself lists the max load pressure as 51 psi at full load. When I took the D in to the service dept. I know all 4 tires were at 36 psi because I check them regularly. After getting the truck back, the next time I checked them they were all at 40 psi. So the service dept. must have added air to them. The vehicle inspection sheet from the tech made no note of air pressure being low or adding any air. So my other question is this: is there a range of pressure from what is listed on the door sticker to what is written on the tire that the tire works best in and do you just adjust it to what you desire, or should I stick with what the door sticker says, or take it to the max that the tire says? And why would the tech at the dealer deviate from what the door sticker says? Do any of you guys rum with a higher pressure for better fuel efficiency? Thanks.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Scottina11heat
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep them at recommended pressure...not max rating from the tire wall.

The TPM sensors will not need to relearn....even if thye did...you just need to drive to relearn.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:55 PM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No procedure. It calibrates automatically.

Always follow what the tire placard on the door says, not the tire. Tires are universal and need to accomodate thousands of vehicles that have different tire pressure requirement. 51psi max means that tire can handle a maximum requirement of 51psi. For vehicles that require more pressure, like Ford Econolines, and other heavy duty vehicles, high load tires are required, which usually support up to 80psi. Anyway, the tire pressure spec gives you roughly a +/- 5psi range. So 40psi is no big deal. As long as the tire pressure light isn't on and your pressures are fairly even, you are fine. The light will illuminate if the tires are overinflated, underinflated, or have too much of a difference in pressure from the other tires. Also, keep in mind that pressure slightly increases while driving and goes back down after parked for a while.

Quick Reply: Re-calibrate TPMS sensors after rotating wheels/tires?