3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Stow and Go roof Rack System...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 AM
cwilliamt
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stow and Go roof Rack System...

I like having a rack neatly stowed inside the roof rails on my '12 Durango, but I have load needs both wider and heavier than the rack accepts.

Has anyone found an aftermarket roof rack solution that works well...Thyule..Yakima etc...? I've found only Thule accommodates the Durango, but with a rack solution that essentially treats it as if it were a bare roof (that is, anchor points in the door opening)...has anyone found anything else?

Do others have the same issues with the stow and go roof rack?

Any thoughts about how to expand the crossbar length?

Old 11-20-2012, 01:04 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cwilliamt
I like having a rack neatly stowed inside the roof rails on my '12 Durango, but I have load needs both wider and heavier than the rack accepts.

Has anyone found an aftermarket roof rack solution that works well...Thyule..Yakima etc...? I've found only Thule accommodates the Durango, but with a rack solution that essentially treats it as if it were a bare roof (that is, anchor points in the door opening)...has anyone found anything else?

Do others have the same issues with the stow and go roof rack?

Any thoughts about how to expand the crossbar length?
Cwilliamt,

If you haven't already visited this site, I've posted a link below for roof racks for the 2012 Durango. Check it out, it might have what you are looking for.

http://www.mopar.com/dodge/durango/2...4404/274/4961/

I hope this helps.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:09 PM
JRRF
Captain

Wider you can probably rig something. But heavier? The roof can only hold so much and the integrated rack system is going to make the most of that. You might get a little heavier load sitting on the window rails, but I doubt much. Sounds like you need a trailer.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:53 AM
cwilliamt
Amateur
Default Roof Rack...

Thanks for the replies...I know about the standard roof rack attachments offered for the Durnago and have previously found the page for which you provided the URL...thank you though for providing it.

As to the second response...and the weight issue...It's really the width issue that is paramount to me... I do have a trailer that I use for heavy loads.

I don't see a lot of discussion (anywhere on the web) on the limited nature of the stow and go roof rack system...don't get me wrong, it is GREAT having the rack components up there and stowed when not in use...and Dodge did a great job with it. It's just a utility issue...maybe Dodge can come up with some sort of extension system specific to their rack? I have to believe there are other Durango owners out there with this issue...

Oh well...I'm getting by and VERY happy with my vehicle overall.

Happy holidays, all.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Originally Posted by cwilliamt
Thanks for the replies...I know about the standard roof rack attachments offered for the Durnago and have previously found the page for which you provided the URL...thank you though for providing it.

As to the second response...and the weight issue...It's really the width issue that is paramount to me... I do have a trailer that I use for heavy loads.

I don't see a lot of discussion (anywhere on the web) on the limited nature of the stow and go roof rack system...don't get me wrong, it is GREAT having the rack components up there and stowed when not in use...and Dodge did a great job with it. It's just a utility issue...maybe Dodge can come up with some sort of extension system specific to their rack? I have to believe there are other Durango owners out there with this issue...

Oh well...I'm getting by and VERY happy with my vehicle overall.

Happy holidays, all.
Are you talking alternative rails that would extend beyond the width of the vehicle?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:38 PM
cwilliamt
Amateur
Default Stow and go...

Yes, alternative rails....that extend slightly beyond the width of the vehicle, but not beyond mirror width.

I know Thule does have a solution, and I've been a Thule user for years, but their solution treats the vehicle like a bare-top vehicle, essentially resting the footpads on the bare roof and hooking the clamps into the door openings...it does not integrate with the stow-and-go rails. (most Thule solutions clamp onto or around factory rails).

I don't like the "bare roof" solution for fear that footpads resting on the vehicle and clamped to the door openings will cause some sort of damage.

What is strange is if you look at a 2012 (and beyond) Jeep Grand Cherokee, they appear to have similar stow and go rails...but I've seen Thule footpads integrated right into the rail (or at least that's what they look like) with Thule Bars greater than the width of the vehicle. But they must be different rails because Thule tells me the only solution for the Durango Stow and Go is the "bare roof" solution.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 AM
JRRF
Captain

I wonder if the stow and go rails are actually inhibiting the type of solution you're looking for. If the roof rails didn't have the integrated cross bars, they would be "open" and you could more easily create a foot that clamped to them. You would also have been able to create your own long crossbar and anchor it to an open roof rail.

Interestingly, I don't know how you get much on and off the roof of a car this tall. I'm 6'2" and other than a ladder or some wood, I'd be hard pressed to manage anything up there without a step stool.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 PM
cwilliamt
Amateur
Default Stow and Go...

I think you're right about the integrated crossbars inhibiting a racking solution...even with the crossbars out of the rails, the rails have a VERY specific configuration that allow the stow-and-go crossbars to fit.

As to loading the vehicle, the rear tire makes a great step stool! I've actually seen on the market a folding step that hooks over the rear tire for the sole purpose of getting a person up a bit so they can mess with their roof load. If you're interested, I can try to find that again and send you a link...it was modestly priced...but I've found the tire itself to be adequate.

Quick Reply: Stow and Go roof Rack System...