3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

What speakers did you use

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013 | 09:44 AM
diggy33
Professional

Okay, I need some advice. I am definitely going to be doing an upgrade to the audio system. For the time being, I am going to keep the stock head unit. What I want to add to the system is the following:

Two amps - one to run the highs, and one to push subwoofer
Single Alpine Type R 12" subwoofer

My questions:

What adapter would I need, if any, to connect the two amps to the stock head unit?
Can the stock amp and subwoofer be disconnected/bypassed altogether without any loss of functionality (not sure if the stock head unit is dependent upon the stock amp for anything)

I know there were a couple threads up already on some of this, but I did a search and couldnt find anything

Old 01-09-2013 | 11:25 AM
baum
Professional

Originally Posted by diggy33
Okay, I need some advice. I am definitely going to be doing an upgrade to the audio system. For the time being, I am going to keep the stock head unit. What I want to add to the system is the following:

Two amps - one to run the highs, and one to push subwoofer
Single Alpine Type R 12" subwoofer

My questions:

What adapter would I need, if any, to connect the two amps to the stock head unit?
Can the stock amp and subwoofer be disconnected/bypassed altogether without any loss of functionality (not sure if the stock head unit is dependent upon the stock amp for anything)

I know there were a couple threads up already on some of this, but I did a search and couldnt find anything
I used a simple Hi-lo converter. Some people may use an input device (mtx, audio control, kicker, jl audio) they all make them. the hi-lo converter takes the speaker level to an rca level (so do these other devices, but they also will have some adjustability).

unless you are replacing your stock head unit (which you say you dont want to) you need to leave the stock amp in place. i tried to grab my signal going into the amp, and had no luck. i lost my adjustment from the deck (bass, treble, fade...). So i grabbed my signal comming out of the amp.

you can simply unplug the stock sub.

Old 01-10-2013 | 08:55 AM
cjlucas78
Rookie

Originally Posted by cobrar97
Do you have pics of your entire setup?
What picture(s) would you like to see?

I am about to finish a new box for behind the 3rd seat as well, should be done within a couple days.

As for the converter question above, I did over a month of research and ended up getting the Audiocontrol adapter (there are a couple options as far as output needs). I connected to the speaker wire behind the factory stereo, it converts the 4 channels from the radio into front/rear and sub and then has nice quality ontop of all that. You can also adjust the voltage output on it to give your amp a higher input which will let you get more out of it as well. Just remember, with car audio, you get what you pay for (if you get all nice audio and then a cheap adapter, what is the point of the nice audio gear).

Old 01-10-2013 | 10:25 AM
baum
Professional

Originally Posted by cjlucas78
What picture(s) would you like to see?

I am about to finish a new box for behind the 3rd seat as well, should be done within a couple days.

As for the converter question above, I did over a month of research and ended up getting the Audiocontrol adapter (there are a couple options as far as output needs). I connected to the speaker wire behind the factory stereo, it converts the 4 channels from the radio into front/rear and sub and then has nice quality ontop of all that. You can also adjust the voltage output on it to give your amp a higher input which will let you get more out of it as well. Just remember, with car audio, you get what you pay for (if you get all nice audio and then a cheap adapter, what is the point of the nice audio gear).
Which factory head unit do you have? also do you have the factory alpine amp?

Old 01-11-2013 | 08:22 AM
cjlucas78
Rookie

I have the non navigation system without factory amp

Old 01-11-2013 | 10:38 AM
rrjjpp74
Rookie

I was also cuius I am running Infinity Reference X REF-6502ix in my truck but also got the Pioneer AVH P4400 as a head unit. It sounds great but would any Inifinity speaker work well with our factory unit? I currently have the Upgraded Apline factory stereo in mine. Or just the focal the best option out there.

Old 01-11-2013 | 10:49 AM
baum
Professional

Originally Posted by cjlucas78
I have the non navigation system without factory amp

makes sense as to why you could get the signal at the deck.

if you have the factory amp you can not get them here and have to get it at the output of the amp.

Old 01-11-2013 | 10:50 AM
baum
Professional

Originally Posted by rrjjpp74
I was also cuius I am running Infinity Reference X REF-6502ix in my truck but also got the Pioneer AVH P4400 as a head unit. It sounds great but would any Inifinity speaker work well with our factory unit? I currently have the Upgraded Apline factory stereo in mine. Or just the focal the best option out there.

any speaker will work

Old 01-14-2013 | 07:44 AM
cjlucas78
Rookie

Finished up the new box in the back of my Durango, wt do you think?

Link to the album
https://picasaweb.google.com/1032723...eat=directlink

Last edited by cjlucas78; 01-14-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2013 | 11:47 AM
spyder99945

Do you guys have any tips on removing the door or tweeter cover?

Quick Reply: What speakers did you use