3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

RKE Keyless Entry temporary failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:39 PM
bbtkd
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RKE Keyless Entry temporary failure

I recall others mentioning this in the past but couldn't find the thread. I have a 2012 Durango Citadel with the RKE (Remote Keyless Entry). I came out of a store today, and the unlock buttons on the doors, tailgate, and remote fob all refused to open the vehicle. I ended up using the emergency key, which set off the alarm. The vehicle refused to start keyless, so I popped off the start button and used the fob to start it manually. I shut it back off and tried the keyless start again - no go. At one point it said something about a damaged fobik. So I started it manually with the fob again, drove home, and tried it again and it now works.

I see that there was a TSB fix for this issue for 2011 models, but it supposedly didn't need to be done on the 2012. How many others have had this happen to their 2012 or a 2011 after the TSB, and how often? Has the dealer done anything for you? Thanks!

Last edited by bbtkd; 12-16-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Were you near something that was broadcasting RF (radio frequency), like a cell tower, radio station, TV station, police or fire station? The RKE fobs work on RF and if there is a higher powered transmitter (wouldn't take much if that close) the D can't receive from the FOBIK.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 AM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by coldsteel
Were you near something that was broadcasting RF (radio frequency), like a cell tower, radio station, TV station, police or fire station? The RKE fobs work on RF and if there is a higher powered transmitter (wouldn't take much if that close) the D can't receive from the FOBIK.

I suspect there is a cell tower around there, so that's possible - though I've parked there numerous times in the past and haven't had that happen. Still, I suppose I might have parked in just the right spot on a day where RF propagation is stronger due to the weather. Have others experienced this in strong RF? I would think then that some places like Manhattan or downtown LA would render it totally unusable.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 AM
GizmoDurango
Veteran

It's weird that this happened to me yesterday, in my driveway. I go out to the D, reach for the handle, and nothing. The difference for me was that the unlock buttons on the keyfob did unlock the D, but once inside, the push start didn't work - I had to go through the process of popping out the push button and using the key that way.

When I got to the store, did what I had to do, then walk back out to the D, everything worked normally. Not sure what happened.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 AM
mmillerao
Rookie

I've had the opposite problem. I kept noticing my truck being unlocked when I thought I had locked it. A few days ago I walked by the driver's door with the key in my pocket on the side nearest the door and the truck unlocked. Turns out, in cold, dry weather, I can get about a foot away from a door handle and the truck unlocks without touching anything.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by mmillerao
I've had the opposite problem. I kept noticing my truck being unlocked when I thought I had locked it. A few days ago I walked by the driver's door with the key in my pocket on the side nearest the door and the truck unlocked. Turns out, in cold, dry weather, I can get about a foot away from a door handle and the truck unlocks without touching anything.
They need to replace the touch sensor/handle. It most certainly uses capacitance and it apparently is registering capacitance based on climate, which it shouldn't.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by GizmoDurango
It's weird that this happened to me yesterday, in my driveway. I go out to the D, reach for the handle, and nothing. The difference for me was that the unlock buttons on the keyfob did unlock the D, but once inside, the push start didn't work - I had to go through the process of popping out the push button and using the key that way.

When I got to the store, did what I had to do, then walk back out to the D, everything worked normally. Not sure what happened.
Is yours a 2012?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:39 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm strange... I would definately have it checked before it becomes a problem!

Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 PM
GizmoDurango
Veteran

Originally Posted by bbtkd
Is yours a 2012?
Yes, 2012.

CMil, you are right. I'm about to set up an appt. with the dealer.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 AM
mmillerao
Rookie

Originally Posted by bbtkd
They need to replace the touch sensor/handle. It most certainly uses capacitance and it apparently is registering capacitance based on climate, which it shouldn't.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Gotta make time to get by there.

Quick Reply: RKE Keyless Entry temporary failure