3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Whining sound during cold start

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Dodge79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Whining sound during cold start

I just bought a 2011 Durango Crew with 46k miles. It was well taken care of and is in mint condition. On the second day I owned it I went out to my employer's parking lot to go home. The vehicle had been sitting outside in 17 degree temperature all day (Minnesota). When I fired up the vehicle from a cold start it started immediately. Except that I heard this whining noise for about 10 to 15 seconds before it faded away. It was a clear, loud tone. Not a squeal. One way to describe it is if you have ever filled a wine glass or crystal goblet half full of water, dipped your finger in it and slowly moved your finger around the rim of the cup eventually you will hear a tone. Sometimes the tone will be loud and clear. I don't usually hear the sound at home since my garage is warmer than outside. Can someone tell me what the problem is and how to fix it?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 AM
baum
Professional

Im another minnesotan also on these days we have had the last week mine would also make some noises. my d has sat outside for the almost 2 years that i have owned it. and has always dont it on extreme cold. all my vehicles have all made this noise for a few seconds on startup in extreme cold. from the cold the oil is a little thicker and it just getting moving in the motor. its just the sound of a very cold car.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Perfectly normal... it was 8-degrees (eight) here in VA the other morning and both my Charger and my D make this sound. It was DAMN COLD !

The noise can be from any of the 'plumbing' items, fuel pumps, water pumps, power steering, etc. but will go away as the vehicle warms.

If you utilize the remote start, you won't have to subject yourself to getting into a frozen car.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 AM
spyder99945

I just got my vehicle back from the dealer last night. I had the same squeal on cold mornings (never after its been sitting after work, though). It was only on the first start of the day (and for a couple seconds). The dealer replaced my tensioner and belt and so far today, so good. Hopefully that was the fix it needed.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Dodge79

I appreciate your comments. I've lived in Minnesota all my life and have heard my share of sounds emanating from cars on cold starts. My initial thought was the sound was caused by some resonant frequency caused by the cold. I just wasn't sure what components were generating it and whether or not it is normal. I was thinking perhaps an adjustment could be made to whatever components are generating the sound to account for the cold. If indeed the cold is the cause.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Krauty

It did it for the 1st time yesterday. It was about 0 degrees out. Used the remote start and it whined for about 2-3 sec. Doesn't concern me given the temp out for the last week with highs of 0.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noises

I noticed mine making a little whining noise too (V6) upon starting last week when it was -8. I've had a lot of cars, although this is the first one that I have ever bought new for myself.

They all "complain" a little in those temps. I will be curious to see if switching to synthetic helps reduce the noises further, but I'll say that so far the D has handled the WI winter well.

Other cars I have owned had the power steering become sluggish, one had the clutch pedal hit the floor (and stay there when I released it). Also have had parking brakes freeze up (water in the cable line) and wheels behave off balance when snow gets stuck in a spoke and throws it off balance. So far nothing to talk about with the D other than how much I love remote start and heated seats.

Steve

Old 02-04-2013, 02:18 PM
spyder99945

So last week the dealer replaced my idler pulley and that solved the squeal sound. It is starting much more smoothly and quieter. Apparently, Chrysler redesigned the pully as the OEM replacement was different then the stock one.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Krauty

Well it's done it a few more times now. Dealer won't attempt to fix it unless I keep it there over night and they hear it for themselves...

Quick Reply: Whining sound during cold start