3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Headlight Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:53 PM
CPW1265
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Cleaning

Does anyone have tips or what to use to keep headlights clean and water/dirty repellent? I hate dirty headlights especially with my new bulbs but using the Rain-X wipes on them in the cold cause them to streak.

Any help with this is great. Thanks

Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM
D3-Blk-Hemi
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wax them. Then use a quick spray wax (I use 3M #39034 Quick Wax Spray) after every wash. Keeps everything nice and slippery. Water and dirt stays away except for salt spray. It sticks to everything

Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Larry Lives
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D3-Blk-Hemi
Wax them. Then use a quick spray wax (I use 3M #39034 Quick Wax Spray) after every wash. Keeps everything nice and slippery. Water and dirt stays away except for salt spray. It sticks to everything
good idea! I have some in the garage, I gotta try....

Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nooooooo

Do NOT wax plastic headlights on any car! This will fog them over time. The wax seems to react and create that dim yellow hue.

Use a soft cloth (never paper towels which work like fine grit sandpaper on the soft lenses). Use a cleaner made specifically for plastic.

Plexus is my brand of choice, I buy from a motorcycle dealer for my Honda Valkyrie. It is designed for motorcycle windshields and helmets. I did a quick search and found this, apparently it is also used in aviation... http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotS...FQSpnQodghEAkw

Steve

Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Larry Lives
Rookie

Originally Posted by wi-steve
Do NOT wax plastic headlights on any car! This will fog them over time. The wax seems to react and create that dim yellow hue.

Use a soft cloth (never paper towels which work like fine grit sandpaper on the soft lenses). Use a cleaner made specifically for plastic.

Plexus is my brand of choice, I buy from a motorcycle dealer for my Honda Valkyrie. It is designed for motorcycle windshields and helmets. I did a quick search and found this, apparently it is also used in aviation... http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotS...FQSpnQodghEAkw

Steve
Mothers makes a cream I have used as well

Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 AM
Waynead
Veteran

Actually, I surprised how (relatively) clean my headlights stay in ugly conditions.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 AM
pedsemdoc

I put the Xpel headlight protection covers on my wife's Crew. I have them on my Infiniti M45 and they have saved me some rock chips and nicks that would have bugged me to no end.
Takes a little bit of practice to get them on right, definitely should use a hair dryer or heat gun to help get them on.

Quick Reply: Headlight Cleaning