3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Lemon law time? Horrible Seat noise with video

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 PM
funkydodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemon law time? Horrible Seat noise with video

So i've been fighting with dodge for months about several outstanding issues I've had with my durango. The quality is appalling. Less then 10,000 miles and 9 months old;

Vibration and pulls all over the place (unresolved)

Squeeky noisey seats and rattling (unresolved) dodges response is all jeep and durango seats rattle please see the videos and let me know your thoughts LOL

Busted sunroof (vent position won't close, keeps popping up and down, they made adjustments, worked for awhile then stopped agian...I have a feeling the issue still lingers but won't know until summer time)

Other electrical grimlins (remote start/HVAC system not functioning properly, lights flickering etc)

I'm ready for them to take this back. It's depressing and to time consuming bringing the vehicle to the dealer over and over again.

At least they were kind enough to give me a few free oil changes (sarcasm)

Any advice on how to start the lemon law process and make it painless as possible?

Thanks,

Funky.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:31 PM
coldsteel
Captain

Not sure if you can lemon law it, but I am a pretty big guy and the Durango seats in my Citadel don't make even the slightest sound even during spirited driving.

Have you tried getting them to remove and replace/retorque the seat bolts?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:53 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear man, lemon laws vary state to state so if you have exhausted all other options I would contact someone local to represent you and give you a better idea of the state laws you can use in your specific case. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:23 PM
mac424
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a 2005 Jeep Wrangler, a 2006 Dodge Magnum and now the 2012 Durango. My Parents have owned a 1998 Dodge Dakota, a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 and a 2006 Chrysler 300C. NONE of them have ever made a seat noise like that. Even my brother's craptastic Chevy Colorado doesn't do that and he's no small guy (6' 2", 275lbs). It is NOT normal at all! Get a hold of Dodge Cares and call their corporate customer service. That's not acceptable (none of your issues are!) and it needs to addressed.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:54 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

A second dealer is definately in order for starters. If you already have, then call Chrysler ASAP and get a case going on it. Someone will get a fire lit under them somewhere. I saw your first post about the seat in June of last year. There should have been something done by now. Seats aren't supposed to rattle. Especially the ones that have sensors in them and are calibrated to the Airbag system. Tell them not to overlook something in the battery tray area UNDER the passenger seat also for a source of noise. We have also seen some rattling from the headliners in some. I'll have to wait until tonight to listen to the videos so I can have silence

And be careful not to misconstrue the service guy's answer from Dodge's answer. They could be 2 totally different things. I have never been told that seats are supposed to rattle. I know Wrangler owners probably don't care as all they can hear is wind blowing in their ears.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-20-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:59 PM
baum
Professional

my drivers squeeks a little too once in a while, but nothing like that!

what the temperature like when you are making it squeek? does it do it more when the vehicle is cold?

keep in mind that metal and plastic shrink in cold and they have different expansion/ contraction rates.

lemon laws are tough, my understanding is the vehicle has to be repaired 3 times for the exact same thing

Old 02-20-2013, 03:24 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Funky,

If there are other dealers in your area I would definitely suggest a visit to another dealer. If you have not already opened a case with Chrysler then I would suggest calling 800-992-1997. The least they can do is to get a Chrysler tech involved with the dealership. I do not understand anyone saying the seat noise is normal.

If they cannot solve the issue and you want to explore lemon law the customer assistance center can send it over or you can request it using the blue and white pamphlet that should have been included with your warranty information when you purchased the vehicle.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM
ginpunk

It's not lemon law time yet.

I'd roll right back to that store and get the fixed ops director involved. He/she will see you.

Take him to that car and demonstrate that annoying squeak. Let him know you are dissatisfied with the dealership and you have no other choice than to contact Chrysler. Things will get moving.

Take your punch list in, make sure it is all written down....one copy for you, one for him. Take in all of your previous RO's to show him how much time you have spent trying to get issues resolved. And, ask he provide a courtesy car for all your hassles while he repairs the rig.

YOU need to eloquently bring the heat. You want something done, you need to stand around there and make sure it happens.

Trust me, I'm in this business and deal strictly with fixed ops.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
I'll have to wait until tonight to listen to the videos so I can have silence
OK, I listened to them.

If you have EVER duplicated that noise in front of a service advisor or tech, there is NO reason it couldn't have been found.

At first listen, it sounds like the cushion frame rubbing the upper seat track. I don't think it's the upper and lower tracks rubbing together.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 AM
funkydodge

Thanks for the advice/support. I've already contact customer care. They seem to be little more than 'advocates'. They are definitely friendly, but in terms of actually getting my issues resolved they've not really been all that helpful.

I'm on my second dealership. If anything they seem to be pissed that I've involved customer care, stating that I have them breathing down their throats. I also got a survey from Dodge where I rated their performance...I gave them 10's as far as being friendly, but low marks for not getting the problem fixed. They were really pissed at me about that......said I messed up their "CPR???" metrics.

The seat noise seems to not only be coming from the base (where you sit) but also the support area on your back. The seat also makes a separate but distinguishable popping noise when you go over bumps. The weird thing is the problem is intermittent and is always different levels of bad.

As another post suggested, perhaps this is due to different weather patterns/temperature/humidity. Regardless the noise shouldn't be there, nor any of the other issues I've had. I see that there is TSB on the Cherokees for seat noise, not sure if there is a relationship there.

I'll keep you all update. Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks,

Funky

Quick Reply: Lemon law time? Horrible Seat noise with video