3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Push Button Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Rangored
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push Button Start

2012 and first problem. Use the push button, truck starts and then shuts off. Replaced batteries in key fobs. Doesn't happen all the time. Dealer won't investigate unless he can duplicate it. Of course it doesn't. Going to give it to them for two days next week. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks D Fam.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:39 AM
coldsteel
Captain

1st Possibility: Do you have the FOBIK in your pocket with or near a cell phone. The RF interference could be preventing the truck from maintaining comms with the FOBIK making it shut down.

2nd Possibility:

It may be the Wireless Ignition Node itself. Use the key or a small screwdriver and pop out the start button to reveal a standard ignition slot.

Stick the FOBIK in the hole and start the truck normally. If the truck still shuts off, then that would point to the WIN, I believe.

If the truck stays running, I believe that indicates the FOBs are the issue.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:10 AM
SS2RT
Captain

try your other keyfob exclusively for a few days see if it happens again...and like steel said it could also be an RF thing...

Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rangored
2012 and first problem. Use the push button, truck starts and then shuts off. Replaced batteries in key fobs. Doesn't happen all the time. Dealer won't investigate unless he can duplicate it. Of course it doesn't. Going to give it to them for two days next week. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks D Fam.
Are you referring to a remote start? If so see below.

Below is a list of why the vehicle should shut off when a remote start is used. The most common is low fuel. As stated by others it could be FOB or WIN related as well. Just wanted to post this in case any of the conditions listed are happening, then the vehicle is working correctly by shutting down.

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Vehicle Will Shut Off After A Remote Start Attempt

Discussion:
Remote start equipped vehicles, sales code XBM, may remote start and then shut off for the following
reasons.
Low fuel lamp on or at fuel level of telltale lamp on.
Low Voltage below 11 V
High Voltage above 16 V
Key in Ignition
Doors or hood are opened before remote unlock
Hazard Switch depressed
Panic or theft alarm active
Brake applied
A prior remote start cranked the engine , but failed to start the engine
Battery voltage NOT in the normal range
High (run away) or Low Idle (stall) RPM
MIL Active
High Engine Coolant Temperature
Low Engine Oil Pressure
Remote start allows a maximum of two starts per ignition off cycle; cycling the ignition resets

Last edited by DodgeCares; 03-15-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:24 AM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pop the switch out and try using just the key, maybe its a bad switch???

Old 03-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Rangored

Thanks family for your input. I can remote start it all day no problem. Only when using the push button. Happens anytime, hot, cold, key in pocket, on the console, phone, no phone. I think it might be a bad switch also. I sometimes have to push it twice to start or shut it off. I have some concerns about the battery since they replaced the battery once already when it left my wife stranded a couple months ago. I'll check voltage prior to starting. Have a feeling it won't happen when they have it. Thanks again D family.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:32 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rangored
Thanks family for your input. I can remote start it all day no problem. Only when using the push button. Happens anytime, hot, cold, key in pocket, on the console, phone, no phone. I think it might be a bad switch also. I sometimes have to push it twice to start or shut it off. I have some concerns about the battery since they replaced the battery once already when it left my wife stranded a couple months ago. I'll check voltage prior to starting. Have a feeling it won't happen when they have it. Thanks again D family.
Good luck bro!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Good luck keep us posted. It may also have something to do with the vehicle security system. As you stated it starts and then dies. That is a symptom of the security system not sensing the right code from the key fobs.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Rangored

What's good D family. Well got the truck back yesterday. Day two at the dealer they call at around noon, "We can duplicate the problem. You can come get it". 4pm same day i get a call, "We got the truck to duplicate the problem". So after keeping it an extra day, replacing the wireless ignition node and reprogramming the keys i have it back. Wife's been rolling in it since. No problems as of yet, knock on wood, fingers crossed.

Want to thank all that lent assistance. I'll update after a full week of driving the D. I'd hate to have to let it go. I love that truck.

Peace fam.

Last edited by Rangored; 03-22-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Push Button Start