3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

About to pull the trigger on an 13 RT

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 12:49 AM
ScottyUSN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to pull the trigger on an 13 RT

After recently attending an Auto Show I was interested in checking out the Journey and The Grand Cherokee. The D is just bigger than I need, not to mention it sucks down the fuel.

I left the show not caring for the look of the Journey at all. Interior was fine, but from my perception it just fell out of the ugly tree hitting every branch on it's way down.

The Steel Metallic Durango on the other hand is sharp, but again a bit bigger than my intended buy. So the best fit is the Jeep GC.

I get online and shart building and pricing to find some minor rebates and saving on the Jeep, but some much deeper savings on the Durango. About 19% off MSPR out the door made the Durango look like a much better option. But if I could get near the same discounts off a Jeep GC I would probably go that route.

Build:
Steel Metallic, AWD, Leather, Tech, Rear chairs and console, Nav and MP3, Tow package, ect..

So before I go do the dance with the sales folks.. It doesn't look like they try to charge for the standard floor carpets?

I not typically an extended warranty type of guy, but I've seen a few that well worth the cost (if properly negotiated), what is the consensus here?

Old 03-17-2013, 01:22 AM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Scotty, love my '12 Rango R/T... I lease every 3 year's so no extended warranty for me but I definitely recommend the truck!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:18 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

I recommend the D as well. Coming from a Gen 1 durango I really felt the new D would be too big and cumbersome but after driving this R/T it has proven to be not that at all.
It is great having the extra room with 2 teenage kids and always a bunch of friends.
Good luck with your choice
STEVE

Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 AM
IlliniJeeper
Rookie

My wife didn't like the size of the Durango, either, when we started looking, but it's my truck so it was my call on whether it was a deal breaker or not (obviously it wasn't). The other weekend she took it to go shopping and have a spa day with a friend, so she drove it nearly 50 miles all over town and when she came back she said "I can't believe how easy it is to drive. You don't even really notice the size thanks to the technology." (It has the backup camera and the blind spot detectors) That says something coming from someone who is content to drive around a mid-size sedan every day.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Same here my wife drives her Avenger R/T everyday. She drove the D the other day an said this drives nice and I can see everything while parking it
STEVE

Old 03-18-2013, 10:28 AM
firemanprice
Professional

Wow, my wife to was impressed on how well it rides and handles. She's all 5'1 and thought it would feel to much like a big truck. She drives a 12 Camry SE V6, that's a lot about our D. Long story short, get the D.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 PM
ScottyUSN

We are trading a Tahoe so the size is not an issue. I like the R/T namely due to the lower and tighter handling. We just planned to down size to a mid size SUV as hauling the extra heft of a full size impacts the MPG. For me anyway, once I got it on my head I was going the route of the full size D I wanted the Hemi and not the 3.6 to ensure the "pep" is available. So I end up back where I started (Full Size V8)

Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Clifford R/T
Veteran

probably 10K cheaper though. I say buy it we love our D

Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 AM
ScottyUSN

Originally Posted by Clifford R/T
probably 10K cheaper though. I say buy it we love our D
Curious, What do you mean?

Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Solphurious
Professional

I love my '12 R/T. I have had a few issues that the dealer jumped right on and repaired. I recommend the Active Cruise Control (not sure if it part of the tech package), and if you want a rear DVD system get the factory unit as adding it in is troublesome. To add in you have to figure out what to do with the rear air controls and I don't think it is prewired so you may have to run those too, and integrating with the factory head unit is questionable. The R/T does not have a roof rack option either. So if you want that you will have to go aftermarket. I have a Thule, it is listed in the Mopar parts catalog. Additionally, it is easiest to have the factory tow package than it is to add in as well, if that is something you need. (for resale it is probably a good item to have.)

Good Luck and I know you will enjoy it.

Wayne

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on an 13 RT