3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Tuning a '12, Which one to get?

Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 PM
dwolson2
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CMil527
Auto anything.com for the hyper tech unit...pm double d mods on the diablo as his price was great on it.
Thanks! I am now waiting on one for sale online(used) we will see though.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:21 PM
MagnumRT05
Rookie

Anything other than Diablosport is silliness. The Hypertech is a cool toy but that's about all. The Trinity is a far superior tool for your car with multiple options that will grow with you. You can switch from a MPG booster if you're commuting and then switch to a 91 CAI tune for fun. I love it, it leaves squat behind in the computer as Ive had my Citadel serviced many times (don't listen to some of the newbs on here), and offers FULL tuning capabilities.

As for good prices, check the other forums for used ones, ie LXF.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:14 PM
wildspeed
Professional

Originally Posted by MagnumRT05
Anything other than Diablosport is silliness. The Hypertech is a cool toy but that's about all. The Trinity is a far superior tool for your car with multiple options that will grow with you. You can switch from a MPG booster if you're commuting and then switch to a 91 CAI tune for fun. I love it, it leaves squat behind in the computer as Ive had my Citadel serviced many times (don't listen to some of the newbs on here), and offers FULL tuning capabilities.

As for good prices, check the other forums for used ones, ie LXF.
I also have the diablo and like it.

The diablo does leave a foot print...I had the D at the dealer for a module problem and when the car was plugin to there system I could see everytime that the ECU and other modules lost contact with the car system when the diablo was rewriting the tune.....(key cycle)

Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 PM
dwolson2
Professional

But could it loose connection for something else?

Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 PM
wildspeed
Professional

Originally Posted by dwolson2
But could it loose connection for something else?
disconnected battery

Old 04-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Scottina11heat
All Star

Hypertech? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

are u guys serious?

Diablo all the way.......proven performance on all Mopars. that hypertech is a JOKE

Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 PM
budoboy1
Veteran

I bought a used Trinity for $305 shipped off e-bay. Installed it today after updating the trinity and my car's calibration. Definitely more pep off the line. I like the 6200 rpm 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Fan controls don't seem to work like they should but I'll figure that out. MDS off is a nice option as the Flowmaster part-throttle drone goes away. I'm going to the track either tomorrow night or next Wednesday to compare my pre-tuner quarter mile ET and MPH. After that I'll do some logging and let me CMR tuner make some changes.

It requires more tinkering than the Hypertech I assume but I like to tinker. I also did some monitoring of my timing, intake air temperature and knock retard. Nice to know what your car is actually experiencing in real time.

87 performance tune right now.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Fullslp
Captain

[QUOTE=MagnumRT05;3006136]Anything other than Diablosport is silliness. The Hypertech is a cool toy but that's about all. The Trinity is a far superior tool for your car with multiple options that will grow with you. You can switch from a MPG booster if you're commuting and then switch to a 91 CAI tune for fun. I love it, it leaves squat behind in the computer as Ive had my Citadel serviced many times (don't listen to some of the newbs on here), and offers FULL tuning capabilities.

Obviously you have never used a REAL tuning program before! Just so everyone is clear WHEN YOU FLASH A PCM YOU WILL LEAVE A FOOTPRINT BY TURNING ON A FLAG! a flag is like a light switch as soon as certain properties in a program are achieved a switch is thrown which then does something.i.e turn on ses light or alter BLM, BPW or timing increase/ decrease or when to activate your oil change light etc.The information can change in said program but provisions are in place to RECORD an information change.I can scan any GM PCM and not only tell you if it's been tuned and returned to stock but also how many times the information has been accessed.This was possible with the introduction of OBDII. Now we have Black Boxes that can record what's happening at any given moment. Please do not post incorrect info. Just because you didn't get popped during your oil change doesn't mean they couldn't see it. Remember it's not illegal to modify your tune according to the MOSS ACT . However if it changes how your emission controls work it IS. A federal offense and they may use it against you if you blow up your motor.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:16 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously your lost in SRT8 jeep land Scott but if you wandered over to your WK2 subforum you would see tons of happy hypertech owners over there as well!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 PM
-Ross-
Rookie

Originally Posted by MagnumRT05
it leaves squat behind in the computer as Ive had my Citadel serviced many times (don't listen to some of the newbs on here), and offers FULL tuning capabilities.
You are the one sounding like a newb here. It absolutely does leave a footprint. Take that Citadel in for a major repair such as a transmission failure, etc and you'll be up **** creek.

Ask some diesel truck drivers about dealers voiding warranties. I owned a 2008 Dodge Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins for about 4 years and was pretty active over on cummins forum during that time.

I'd love to see a back to back dyno between the Hypertech and the 91 octane Diablosport. I bet its not even a 6-8hp difference either way on a stock Durango with a CAI.

Last edited by -Ross-; 04-23-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuning a '12, Which one to get?