3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Tuning a '12, Which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 AM
Hemibuck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
You are the one sounding like a newb here. It absolutely does leave a footprint. Take that Citadel in for a major repair such as a transmission failure, etc and you'll be up **** creek.

Ask some diesel truck drivers about dealers voiding warranties. I owned a 2008 Dodge Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins for about 4 years and was pretty active over on cummins forum during that time.

I'd love to see a back to back dyno between the Hypertech and the 91 octane Diablosport. I bet its not even a 6-8hp difference either way on a stock Durango with a CAI.
The dealer must prove that what they are saying caused the problem actually did...very tough to do. Unless they see you plug the tuner in and use it, your going to have a stronger case than the dealer. That same Moss act protects us more than it protects the dealers. Been dealing with modded cars with warranty's for years. Hell I had a Nitrous line cut a rear CV boot in my Magnum and they fixed it under warranty...the car is HIGHLY modded and tuned by Diablo. They are more apt to give you a hard time about your intake than some "flags" in the Starscan.

I would also love to see that dyno and then let a tuner tweak the Diablo and run it again and also tweak the Hypertech...oh wait you can't. No contest! Each ride is different with different mods, quality of fuel, driving habits etc. A custom tune is worlds apart from a can tune. So I will take that challenge against a Hypertech any day of the week.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 AM
Scottina11heat
All Star

uh...Diablo advertises that the intune and trinity leaves no footprint and they actually delayed the release to make sure of this.

Anyway....just not too crazy about paying $400 for wires and modules that "trick" the pcm into advancing timing, spark etc. It tricks the PCM with false readings! The diablos can actually monitor and track whats going on with your vehicle which inturn you can feed to your cmr tuner for correction etc. No MDS management, no torque management etc? Take a look at the fastest mopar on the net....most are tuned with Diablo. Even if you dont plan on modding to the max....why not buy a diablo over the "hypertech tangled wires doopity doo" just to monitor your trucks health when you please? Theres a ton more reasons to buy the diablo....not even gonna get into them.... Wow......just wow.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 AM
-Ross-
Rookie

Originally Posted by Scottina11heat
Anyway....just not too crazy about paying $400 for wires and modules that "trick" the pcm into advancing timing, spark etc. It tricks the PCM with false readings! The diablos can actually monitor and track whats going on with your vehicle which inturn you can feed to your cmr tuner for correction etc. No MDS management, no torque management etc? Take a look at the fastest mopar on the net....most are tuned with Diablo. Even if you dont plan on modding to the max....why not buy a diablo over the "hypertech tangled wires doopity doo" just to monitor your trucks health when you please? Theres a ton more reasons to buy the diablo....not even gonna get into them.... Wow......just wow.
These are near stock Durangos. Not stroked and blown SRT8 Challengers.

For a guy looking to remain very close to stock (like myself), I just don't see any real advantage with either "tuner" over the other.

I do agree though. If you are planning heavier mods, a true "tuner" (one someone could tweak on during a dyno session) would be the way to go.

I think Hypertech would work just fine for the original poster's needs.

I have a CAI other than that its stock. Its my Wife's vehicle so I don't really need a lot more HP. The biggest thing for me is I am about to tow 3K lbs for 1700 miles and I would really like better MPG. Also, we will be going on a trip that's about 400 miles round trip every quarter so its going to get some highway time. That said, what tuner would you get? I don't intend on getting any other mods, nor changing the size tires.

Last edited by -Ross-; 04-24-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:13 AM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't purchased a tune yet but simply seeing the positive results vs.the ohhh my dash light is on, ohhh that feature isn't working or the "we will work the bugs out" speech that diablo is slinging on a $500 product controlling a $10k power train is a lil bogus IMO. I get why your pushing the diablo Scott in regards to them being a sponsor on your forum, their track record as a tuner and the hypertech units limitations but bottom line in this regard is you have never used either on a 3g Durango...to which I say wow...just wow!

Last edited by CMil527; 04-24-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW who the hell is running heavier mods on a 5000+ lb 7 seat SUV... its a ridiculous argument when both work!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Originally Posted by CMil527
I haven't purchased a tune yet but simply seeing the positive results vs.the ohhh my dash light is on, ohhh that feature isn't working or the "we will work the bugs out" speech that diablo is slinging on a $500 product controlling a $10k power train is a lil bogus IMO. I get why your pushing the diablo Scott in regards to them being a sponsor on your forum, their track record as a tuner and the hypertech units limitations but bottom line in this regard is you have never used either on a 3g Durango...to which I say wow...just wow!
I am feeling the same way. If indeed I do get one of these tuners I do not want to see 1 light come on or 1 problem arise. I will never be modding past the Cai and maybe cat back exhaust at some point. I will more than likely get the hypertech. I do still have to pay for my Durango and it is still used as it was intended to haul family and many kids quite frequently, so much more than those mods is ridiculous
STEVE

Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Fullslp
Captain

[QUOTE=Scottina11heat;3006497]uh...Diablo advertises that the intune and trinity leaves no footprint and they actually delayed the release to make sure of this.

I had a Trinity T1000 on my 09 Trailblazer SS then I upgraded to JET DST and guess what with the TRINITY REMOVED, I received this message upon install. "WARNING: Factory program has been altered confirm that no other files are currently in use". If JET DST can "SEE" that diablo was on there then you better be sure the factory MASTER program diagnostics CAN SEE IT. The real question is CAN THEY DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT? You also have to explain why your KEY counts have been changed since when you remove Diablo it alters such factors. Strange Sir why in 4,000 miles you've only started your car 4 times. or Why has this car not recorded any extended self diagnostics. That's ok you can say you disconnected the battery for a stereo install. OH WAIT.. that doesn't alter key counts!!!!

Here is a ford tech QA guide for just such an issue. Take from it what you will.

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/...pse2d64ad5.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Tuning a '12, Which one to get?-fordtunerdetection_zpse2d64ad5.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 11:23 AM
-Ross-
Rookie

I wish someone would dyno using each back to back so we could see the difference in power.

Last edited by -Ross-; 04-24-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:35 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Well I am gonna get me a MIAGI TURBO (lets see how many can date themselves here!) LOL

Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 AM
-Ross-
Rookie

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
Well I am gonna get me a MIAGI TURBO (lets see how many can date themselves here!) LOL

Ahh, Daniel Son.

Quick Reply: Tuning a '12, Which one to get?