3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

13' R/T-White Smoke during start

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 PM
djibara
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about valve seals? On some of the chevys Ive owned they were notorious for leaks vaalve seals and did this everytime you would start them when they sat for a while. Just a thought

Old 05-22-2013, 10:20 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think its just moisture!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:01 AM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said, pretty common engine oil issue.
http://www.lxforums.com/board/f61/um...tup-wtf-72660/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...rt-up-1236676/
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=115879
http://www.*********.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326600
http://www.google.com/search?sclient=tablet-gws&site=&source=hp&q=hemi+smoke+on+startup&btnG=Search

Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM
ramdanimal
Rookie

Mine only does it when parked on a steep incline and is definitely not moisture or cold-start related. Has only happened a few times but always on an incline.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 AM
SAN DOG 34
Amateur

Originally Posted by ramdanimal
Mine only does it when parked on a steep incline and is definitely not moisture or cold-start related. Has only happened a few times but always on an incline.
I found out that it also only happens when I'm parked incline. Started it decline and flat and no problems.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 AM
GizmoDurango
Veteran

I've seen it before as well, but it's been months since I've seen it happen again. Thanks for the links to the other articles regarding this. As others have mentioned, I haven't seen any issue with performance, and don't recall any smell besides "normal" exhaust.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 AM
jwr9152
Professional

As Shelbymopar said the pcv redirects oil to the intake on mopars. Pretty common to see a little smoke once in awhile on start up. Adding a catch can will stop it. You would be amazed how much oil it catches. About 250 ml every oil change. No smoke since adding it.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 PM
bluebastion
Professional

When I first got my vehicle my boss asked me if I liked the Hemi Smoke..... apparently it's a common thing that Hemi's are actually known for. Nothing to be concerned about at all.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:06 AM
SAN DOG 34
Amateur

Thanks guys! Almost thought I had a lemon issue.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:31 AM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Hello all.

I know this is my first post, but after reading this thread and going through this problem this past weekend, I thought I would chime in on what is the problem...or so says Chrysler.

I bought a Black 2013 Dodge Durango R/T with the 5.7 motor in it and ONLY 125miles on it. We bought the truck this past Friday (June 31st, 2013) we left the dealer around 9PM and went straight home. The next morning I had to take everything out of my trade (2010 Journey R/T COMPLETE LEMON) and put it all in the new truck. Did that and took trade back to dealer. After dropping the tradeoff we went out to lunch and then drove back home.

Once home we decided to take a ride and go shopping. I had started the truck with auto start from inside the house, went to the restroom and headed out to the garage. When I opened the door to the garage, I was hit in the face with a bunch of smoke. It was so bad I thought my garage was on fire. It was not. I looked at the *** end of the truck and watched this thick blue smoke just come flowing out like crazy from the exhaust.

I immediately looked for fluids on the ground and there were none. I turned the truck off thinking maybe the dealer or factory did not check the oil. I pulled the dip stick and it was bone dry!??? I could not believe what I was seeing. I called the dealer copped a HUGE bitch and made them tow the truck back to the dealer. I told them to give me another new one in-replacement of this one but they only had a NASTY red one on the lot. So they did a search and found my R/T's twin would be in Monday or Tuesday, so they gave me a managers R/T with 2100 miles on it to use for the time being since I was not leaving without an R/T for the weekend.

Went home and did pretty much nothing since I was a little afraid of this one doing it to me....So, Sunday morning I had some trash to take to the dump that is located maybe 5 miles from my home and in the community I live in. I had enough trash that I had to make two trips. On the second trip I parked the truck in the drive and left it running since it was hot out at 8AM. I started to gather the last of the trash. I was just about done loading when out of nowhere the truck started to smoke like the last one. I spent the next four hours diagnosing this myself since the dealer was not open.

I had left the truck sitting off for about an hour and a half then came out and started it. Right to smoking like crazy. I turned the truck off and checked the oil....bone dry!!!! I then thought about it.

I always back my vehicles into the driveway because I like to get right out in the morning. I was on a slight incline and thought maybe the oil is draining too much. So, I took the truck turned it around and all the smoke was gone. Did this flip flop a few times...smoking ......not smoking...lol

Drove the truck around and NOTHING. No smoking or anything. Back it back into the driveway left it running about five minutes and BAM smoke came back.

SO, I waited until the dealer called me around three yesterday, and it was the owner of the dealership on the phone. He called me since his shop Foreman could not duplicate the issue I was having with the original truck....I laughed and told him what I had found with his managers R/T.

He said you know what I have a 2013 Durango Citadel and it smoked a little on him in the morning where it was started from a cold start. But never did what these two trucks are doing to me.

So, he called Chrysler and they knew NOTHING...lol he called a regional person from Chrysler and he knew exactly what he was describing to him.

He told the owner that Chrysler knows about this problem and they have a fix for it.

For customers who park on more than a 15 degree incline the 5.7 motor will smoke really badly. ALL cars with this motor will do this. The 100% fix for this to stop would be to replace the oil pan to a smaller one. Once the pans are swapped the problem goes away (So they say). The cold start smoking problem will be fixed sometime soon since Chrysler is currently working on a "Flash" For the CPU to bring up the starting rev's to burn the little oil sitting around at start-up...again so they say.

My truck is still at the dealer, and I park the "loaner" facing down in the driveway. I hope all this BS pans out since the reason I bought this Durango was my 2010 Journey R/T was in the shop 13 times in three years had five sets of brakes and rotors replaced and the front end had a wobble from the get go. It only had 63,500 miles on it at trade last Friday. This was there way of not omitting guilt for a lemon. I wanted a buy back of the old truck but that was a joke. So I had to do a regular trade, which I lost in the appraisal of it due to high miles...lol bastards.

I am now starting to think I might just get out of this contract and go buy a real truck. A FORD!

Chrysler does not care as it seems and does not want to recall, fix or be responsible for anything....but they sure could take our money in that bailout crap!

Again, I just wanted to chime in on this since it is still happening. I think any of you just sitting back doing nothing about it should wake up.....we have a class action lawsuit against Chrysler for the faulty break system on the Journeys and now I am seeing a possible one coming up for these ****ty motors sitting on a slight incline. I have video of all this from both trucks including the bone dry dip sticks. I hope they pull some BS because I will pull out my phone and show them the videos! Then what are they going to do or say?????.....not much I am sure.

I will keep you all posted.

Quick Reply: 13' R/T-White Smoke during start