3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

First oil change, how to document?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 PM
zaktrafton
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First oil change, how to document?

So I changed the factory fill today on the HEMI. It wasnt quite black but brown/amber color. 3375 miles.

Leaving on monday morning at 0500 hrs for a 1500 mile road trip to Oklahoma.

The filter was welded on OMG. My filter wrench was crushing it. So I stabbed it with a screwdriver to get it off. What a mess.

I do like that the drain plug is up front in the same access hole as the filter though. Next change should go much better.

I used 7 qts of mobil1 5w-20 syn and Fram TG2 filter. Couldnt find a mopar filter in my area. I will buy a few when i see them though.

So I need to document that i changed the oil myself. Do i just need to save the receipt and note the miles? Is there an official maintenance log i need to fill out?

Old 05-29-2013, 01:47 PM
CMil527
Champion

Save the receipt and keep a log!

Old 05-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Fullslp
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can write it down in the back off your owners manual. Plus fold up the receipt in the page. That way all the info is in one place in the car. On a side note next time you can use a K&N oil filter. It's about 12 bucks but offers better protection and most of all it has a 1 inch socket grommet on the bottom. You can remove it with a regular wrench. Also if you get a chance read the thread on HEMI TRUE OIL CAPACITY. . you may have to add a little oil before your trip. Lates

Old 05-29-2013, 02:56 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

I keep a running excel spreadsheet which also shows total cost of ownership.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:42 PM
zaktrafton
Professional

Let it sit a few hours. Oil is just above the two holes in the hash marks on the unlabeled dipstick.

I've read that the TG2 filter is rated pretty good. Ive used them for a few years on my jeep grand cherokee so Im pretty happy with them. I did see purolator classics at the store. Thought about it but i like the grip surface on the fram.

Last edited by zaktrafton; 05-29-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:50 PM
zaktrafton
Professional

Originally Posted by Fullslp
Also if you get a chance read the thread on HEMI TRUE OIL CAPACITY. . you may have to add a little oil before your trip. Lates
That thread started out interesting and finished talking about black paint vs white and justin bieber. Ill check the oil before i leave and grab a spare quart for the trip.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:59 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by zaktrafton
That thread started out interesting and finished talking about black paint vs white and justin bieber. Ill check the oil before i leave and grab a spare quart for the trip.
Ya funny the direction some of these conversations go. I always take oil, coolant and gorilla tape on every extended trip.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 AM
safford197
Professional

I always keep the receipt and log it in the back of the owners maintenance manual.

Also, after you've taken it on the highway, double check you don't have any seepage from the new oil filter. When I did my first oil change I had all kinds of problems with aftermarket filters. I even purchased a Mopar from Wal-mart but they must have changed something subtle about the seal because after three filters (one Mopar) I gave up and went to the dealer to buy a Mopar. I still did the work myself - but that's what it took to get one that didn't allow seepage.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:33 PM
nightvision191

Be careful with those newer receipt papers though. Have you ever noticed if you have a receipt in your wallet or even a Best Buy receipt in a folder for awhile the ink seems to have vanished? I like to scan all of my valuable receipts into the computer.

Best of luck in Ok!

Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 AM
zaktrafton
Professional

Im letting the wife drive it a few days. Ill check the filter and the level before we leave.

Quick Reply: First oil change, how to document?