3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2012 Durango - added hitch, towing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:47 PM
mmark27
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Durango - added hitch, towing question

I have a 2012 Durango Crew (V6, AWD). I had the dealership add the official MOPAR hitch (cut out bumper and everything) when I bought it. However, the DD doesn't have the overcooled transmission and the official "towing package".

My question is: I'm heading over to Michigan (~ 8 hours) and we have a 3400lb boat, would you tow it with the DD that far with my set up?

I've towed it around town no problem, but I'm a little nervous to trek so far with it. Thoughts??? I do have a 90k bumper to bumper on it, so if all else fails, I'll just take it in and play dumb!

Old 07-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Waynead
Veteran

Just keep an eye on the temp gauge and don't worry. You can also monitor the tranny temp in the EIC.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:48 PM
firemanprice
Professional

Back of your manual it clearly states that if you do Not have the tow package then 3500lb is your tow capacity. So you should be fine towing you have. And like what Waynead said, just keep an eye on your Temp. I'm curious, do you have the Tow haul button just below the a/c controls?

Last edited by firemanprice; 07-03-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by firemanprice
Back of your manual it clearly states that if you do Not have the tow package then 3500lb is your tow capacity. So you should be fine towing you have. And like what Waynead said, just keep an eye on your Temp. I'm curious, do you have the Tow haul button just below the a/c controls?
No TOW/ haul on v6. Also use manual shift mode if the tranny starts to hunt for gears, this will help keep tranny temps lower.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 AM
basswitche

I also had official MOPAR towing hitch added after purchase since bought a "used" 2012 Durango Crew AWD. Both dealer and Dodge assured me that D can now pull the max. Kind of wondering....my boat and trailer only weigh about 2500 pounds. Also carrying WorldCare on this vehicle, warranty for life so if it goes it goes and they get it back. What a hassle. THis is the only vehicle I have ever bought that within 6 months of owning it is seriously considering trading it in...

Old 07-26-2013, 09:14 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

You should have dealer print you the build sheet. The most important option of the factory tow package is the heavy duty cooling, the radiator is actually larger with more cooling capacity. The bigger alternator, full size spare, are not going to effect towing, the self leveling suspension, well is good but not a killer.

Quick Reply: 2012 Durango - added hitch, towing question