3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Windshield Replacement on lease..

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 AM
zoso59brst
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement on lease..

Hi all,

noob here. I'm leasing a '13 R/T and I need to replace the windshield. Do I need to replace with OEM/Mopar glass or can I just have Safelite come throw an aftermarket on it? This is my first lease and I'd prefer not to have any surprises at the end.

Thanks

2013 R/T - 5.7 Hemi - 6spd - Max. Steel

Old 07-18-2013, 10:56 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

I dont think they will notice as long as it's a good install
STEVE

Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your insurance covers it, take the car to a Dodge dealer for OEM replacement. You really don't want to turn it back in and have them find a non-OEM windshield.
If you're going with Brand X then check the measurements real carefully. A couple of mm here and there can add up to a leak. Also the thickness needs to be verified.
Run of thumb: If I was going to be driving this car for another 5 years what would I do?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:37 PM
hairless_ape
Rookie

Jebus Orin, you're one paranoid dude.

Anyway, don't use Safelite or any of those national chains...they're all a rip-off. Call around to every local shop, I guarantee you'll find a place that's at least 30-40% cheaper and they'll probably due better work. Good luck.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:59 PM
zoso59brst

Thanks everyone. So if I do an aftermarket windshield, and they actually catch it, I'm paying out of pocket for a mopar windshield? Guess I'll see how bad the price difference actually is and see if it's worth the risk.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Orin500XL
Captain

[QUOTE=hairless_ape;3048209]Jebus Orin, you're one paranoid dude.[QUOTE]

I think of it as cautious and thorough. :-)

Old 07-19-2013, 07:55 AM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by zoso59brst
Thanks everyone. So if I do an aftermarket windshield, and they actually catch it, I'm paying out of pocket for a mopar windshield? Guess I'll see how bad the price difference actually is and see if it's worth the risk.
Read your lease agreement, should say something about it. I was in a windshield shop a few weeks ago waiting for a chip repair. A woman came in and they put her on the phone with her insurance company, and she insisted that she would not accept a Safelite, had to be OEM. I suspected this was for a lease, and later looked it up and found there are three types of windshield; factory which comes from the dealer and is the only brand used by the car manufacturer, OEM which is made by another manufacturer using the exact specs by permission of the car manufacturer, and then the aftermarket such as Safelite who can't use the exact specs and makes them thinner to keep cost down. The car manufacturer retains all rights to use the specs for their windshields, so the aftermarket can't duplicate them. Lease agreements likely require that any repairs - not just windshield - use factory or OEM parts. They probably exclude oil, tires, etc.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 AM
bbtkd
Veteran

Oh - and regarding price, aftermarket can be half the cost. I wouldn't do it, as you can count on them checking and charging you the full price of a factory windshield - not just the difference between the factory and aftermarket. Also - the strength has to be compromised if they're thinner, and the windshield is a critical safety part. Would you buy knock-off air bags?

Old 07-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Orin500XL
Captain

Originally Posted by bbtkd
Read your lease agreement, should say something about it. I was in a windshield shop a few weeks ago waiting for a chip repair. A woman came in and they put her on the phone with her insurance company, and she insisted that she would not accept a Safelite, had to be OEM. I suspected this was for a lease, and later looked it up and found there are three types of windshield; factory which comes from the dealer and is the only brand used by the car manufacturer, OEM which is made by another manufacturer using the exact specs by permission of the car manufacturer, and then the aftermarket such as Safelite who can't use the exact specs and makes them thinner to keep cost down. The car manufacturer retains all rights to use the specs for their windshields, so the aftermarket can't duplicate them. Lease agreements likely require that any repairs - not just windshield - use factory or OEM parts. They probably exclude oil, tires, etc.
Score one for the cautious and thorough crowd. :-)

Old 07-19-2013, 02:50 PM
hairless_ape
Rookie

Sorry, but I've turned in leased vehicles withwindshields that weren't factory. No one checked the glass. They check the condition of the tires, interior and paint. You guys are way over thinking this...seriously.

And I don't know where you got your definition of OEM, but your dead wrong. It means Original Equipment Manfacuter...meaning it's a factory origional part. What you're thinking of is a factory authorized replica/replacement part.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement on lease..