I use Zaino Leather as well.
Works Great and never greasy
STEVE

Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 AM
K.Ip
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the recos

my plan is to use diluted water/soap to clean and apply some type of conditioner.

my question is that i thought new cars have a polyurethane top coat on the leather so will the conditioner even matter initially?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM
mikeinaz

As I mentioned in a previous post, with the leather being sealed, nothing you apply is getting to the leather itself. Might as well stay w/ a 303 or other non leather care product to protect the same way you would your dash. Try this, take a drop of water and let it set on your seat. Does it soak in? If not its sealed leather and nothing you apply will soak in (leather treatment) either. Some higher end cars have open leather and would respond to leather treatment, Dodge is not one of them.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:01 AM
redalty
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to have to disagree with you Mike. I am an auto upholsterer by trade for the last 10 years and there are very few vehicles that come sealed and if a standard interior protection product is used it will eventually cause the leather to fail... I know this as it's something I deal with almost daily. Your new 3 series BMW and the lower end Mercedes are all vinyl, no more leather. Manufactures have figured out that by they can advertise a leather seat if it even has just one panel where your body makes contact with the seat. Now most of your new vehicles are using less leather and more synthetics and that might be what you are seeing as a sealed leather but it is in fact just a vinyl. With that being said, if you use a leather conditioner on a vinyl it will do no harm but keep in mind that the other way around WILL do damage eventually.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:03 AM
zaktrafton
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My black seats are starting to look a bit dry. I know im not supposed to put anything on them but they need something.....

Old 03-22-2014, 12:41 PM
mikeinaz

Originally Posted by redalty
I'm going to have to disagree with you Mike. I am an auto upholsterer by trade for the last 10 years and there are very few vehicles that come sealed and if a standard interior protection product is used it will eventually cause the leather to fail... I know this as it's something I deal with almost daily. Your new 3 series BMW and the lower end Mercedes are all vinyl, no more leather. Manufactures have figured out that by they can advertise a leather seat if it even has just one panel where your body makes contact with the seat. Now most of your new vehicles are using less leather and more synthetics and that might be what you are seeing as a sealed leather but it is in fact just a vinyl. With that being said, if you use a leather conditioner on a vinyl it will do no harm but keep in mind that the other way around WILL do damage eventually.
I wont pretend to know more about your industry than you do but you say most cars now come with not leather, but a synthetic leather. I agree with you that those wont need a leather treatment and its becoming difficult to tell the difference between what is real and what is not.
My wifes Lexus has a non sealed real leather, it allows the leather product to soak in. My Corvette has leather and you can see the shiny covering so a product like Aerospace 303 has left those crappy seats looking like new for a few years now and they have never seen a leather treatment as it does nothing for them due to the sealing on them. The Durango has the Nappa leather and its sealed, nothing will penetrate it. I use a leather treatment(Griots) as I like the smell of it, lol. I guess if in doubt and you use a leather treatment it wont harm a fake leather or a sealed leather. The water test, which I stand by is a great way though to see if the seat will absorb anything. If it wont, applying a leather treatment is not doing much good and a topical product like 303 or anything used on a dashboard will work as a protectant.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:55 PM
K.Ip
Rookie

Originally Posted by redalty
so what exactly are our seats made out of?
i have a '14 RT

Old 03-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K.Ip
so what exactly are our seats made out of? i have a '14 RT

Last edited by Wash Man; 03-22-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:08 PM
K.Ip
Rookie

Originally Posted by wash man
lol!!!

Quick Reply: Leather Seats