3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

MGP Caliber Cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Imspursfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGP Caliber Cover

First time poster,

I just installed these covers yesterday on my 2013 durango blacktop and took it out for a ride with no issues. My wife took it to work this morning and heard what she called a grinding noise on the front passenger side tire. I went and took a look without taking the tire off and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The caliber cover is intact with no scratches or dings, it hasn't moved and there is no scratches on the rotor ( I think it's called ). I drove it home and couldnt replicate the sound. Has anyone had an issue after installing these covers with a grinding noise, I plan on taking the tire off and inspecting it again this evening.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:23 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never seen or heard of anyone with an issue...welcome BTW!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:33 PM
SLAINTE06
All Star

Same here no concerns and have not heard of any. Dont forget your wife said it, so it maybe possible it was just one of those noises in her head that all wives have, but probably worth taking an extra look just in case

Old 07-26-2013, 02:51 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

No Noise with my D or its caliper covers...Your wife probably wants a Tahoe(or Sequiao) like Finny's wife!

Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Imspursfan

Thanks for the replies. Maybe it was something she ran over or heard on the radio, but I will be taking a look with the tire off this evening. Ill let you all know if I see anything unusual

Old 07-26-2013, 03:35 PM
SLAINTE06
All Star

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
No Noise with my D or its caliper covers...Your wife probably wants a Tahoe(or Sequiao) like Finny's wife!
Pay attention, I have SOME sense, I dont let the wifey in the DD to cause these noises

Old 07-26-2013, 03:46 PM
V for Victory
All Star

Spursfan, The fronts are the closest to rubbing towards the center of the hub, or the U shaped part of the caliper cover. When you have the wheel off tonight, make sure the caliper cover is flush with the brake caliper. I was able to slightly bend my front covers to fit tighter against the caliper by grabbing the arched top side and gingerly pulling on it to bring the inner side closer. As you know their is about a business card clearance between the wheel and caliper cover. Make sure they are on as tight as then can be against the caliper and straight, and tighten the nuts by hand to 10 ft. lbs. I'm sure if they rubbed even for a second which would be several rotations at cruising speed you would have had signs or total failure. Ive had mine on for months and no problems and very secure as I check them for tightness when I wash my truck.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Imspursfan

Well I took a look at the front passenger side wheel and didn't see anything loose or scraped or bent. I did hear what my wife was talking about. Sounds like its coming from the bushings, when I brake it sounds like a creaking sound. Not to loud but noticeable from the inside. Don't know if I lifted the truck up in the wrong place but I will wait to see if it gets louder before I take it in.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:21 PM
St.Char
Professional

Anyone pull a trailer or do any towing with these on? Just wondered if it increases brake pad wear

Old 07-27-2013, 12:04 AM
Scottina11heat
All Star

are they aluminum? If so they will retain heat and cause brake fade etc. by heating up the calipers and maybe the rotors.

Quick Reply: MGP Caliber Cover