3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

CAI decission help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:54 PM
boosted20v
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the dry AFE. Love it, pretty quiet until you nail the throttle and hit 4k rpm's! Other than that it's hardly noticeable.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:06 AM
MIKEon22s
Captain

Looks like a New line from K&N coming out, No D yet. http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?id=4571

Old 08-01-2013, 11:10 AM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So they cololrcode everything black and offer it as a new system?? Ahhh the ways these companies find to make a buck...lol

Old 08-01-2013, 02:35 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

The tube is made of metal now on all these. No more plastic tubes
STEVE

Old 08-01-2013, 06:16 PM
SS2RT
Captain

I love my K&N its not the oiled type and it looks and
sounds perfect, im a sucker for polished metal!
and the red filter and stickers would look great with your truck

i had originally bought a mopar but looks wise i wasnt thrilled with it and in the end by themselves they all pretty much do the same thing, more sound and dress up the bay

the volant is pretty too...
cant really go wrong with any, but cost and looks would steer me to the K&N 77 series, cheapest and closest to my style of look and really aggressive sound

Old 08-01-2013, 08:12 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

The New K&N comes with a non oiled filter. Just none for us yet. My buddy just bought one of the Redlines I didn't. A real loaded 2012 R/T, He ordered the Volant. I'll have to see how it sounds then I will pull the plug. I 'Like' the AFE.... but my conscience says MOPAR for warranty.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:41 PM
hairless_ape
Rookie

The only part of your warranty that would be affected by a CAI with a dry filter would coverage for the stock airbox...which you're removing anyway. Educate yourself a little on the subject and you'll realize just how silly you sound.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

Pull your Durango into a dealership and its throwing a CEL or running rough and the first thing they will claim is the aftermarket CAI, Hypertech. Hell mine even said some aftermarket exhaust can cause a CEL and they wouldn't cover it. I know of a local dealership that has a sign that say's and cars brought in with a tune "superchips' will not be covered. Many dealers are known not to fix a issue with a oil type air filter because so many people over oil it and they have ruined MAP and IAT sensor. Over size wheels and tires can cause excess stress on drivetrain and suspension. I have educated myself. Some dealerships are fine with mods other have very little tolerance.

Some very good education here. http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...30/index2.html

Last edited by MIKEon22s; 08-01-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:47 AM
SS2RT
Captain

its technically not up to the dealership unless they have proof, its the law that your warranty is not implicitly denied or voided just because an aftermarket part exists on your vehicle

If it were there simply would be no aftermarket, companies wouldn't survive.

Can you still get hassled, or caused grief - sure.
In the end, you ask the dealership to put it in writing, that your aftermarket part caused the problem and therefore denied you warranty. Most oftern they will not do so,
if they do, you have a lawsuit if there's no validity or proof.

I had an 12v electronics shop for years and if every customer I had listened to the dealer,'I would have sold 5
or 6 alarms and remote starts instead of 10k - 15k in my 15 years in business..

this is also why I would buy from K&N or a big,
long standing company (or buy the mopar!) - typically they have legal and other resources to help you in cases like this vs. smaller newer aftermarket companies, 'in case you need the help. I have had cases where I needed help from alarm/electronics manufacturers and it made a big difference in the few/minimal cases we had to help a customer get dealer service

Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 AM
MIKEon22s
Captain

I completely agree its Illegal and unfortunate, but the horror stories of being denied warranty service are out there. We must all tread a fine line. With "SOME" dealerships.

Quick Reply: CAI decission help