Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Lift gate tail lights removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:09 AM
asurdez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift gate tail lights removal

Has anyone removed the inner tail lights on the lift gate?
Pics would help too.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2013, 10:44 AM
tbone123

I had to do this due to breaking my taillight. Not a bad job but there are some green factory clips(look like the Christmas tree style) that I am convince are going to break no matter how careful you are when removing the interior panel from the lift gate. The 2 hand holes in the bottom will pop out and then from there I just started easing a trim tool along the lower part of the window until it started popping loose. The only issue i had was with the bottom of the panel and those green pins. I had to replace 4 of them when I put everything back together. The lights themselves are held in with 3 10mm(I think thats the right size) bolts. I also had to loosen the DODGE trim panel to remove the lights because of the angle it would not allow it to pull straight out. It will make since when you look at it. Sorry no pics and I kow I am not the best at verbalizing instructions. Best of luck.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:53 PM
J6L
Rookie

It seems like the only way to change a burnt out bulb is to take the entire panel off. Someone dropped the ball there. What is the small panel dead center for? It seems like if you removed it that you might have half a shot at getting access to the taillight bulbs.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 AM
baum
Professional

you have to remove the panel to get the bulbs/ lights out.

Its a PITA. you dont have to remove the entire panel to do it. you can flex it a bit to access them. but yes the clips are some of the tightest i have ever seen. the guys in the quick service wouldnt even change them at my dealer (they will do normal bulbs).

Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 AM
bull1879

just had one of mine changed while it was at the dealer. $24 bucks, but well worth it to avoid breaking something more expensive trying to do it myself.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:46 PM
dougcyr
Default Durango Lift Gate bulb replacement.

I read the threads below. I removed the handle to lift gate by prying it off. Take your time. Then took a screw driver and pryed down the panel just enough to see the "green" plastic push pins. I put the screw driver at the base of the pin and gently pryed down. "POP". Slowly work your way around to the next and ect. I then unscrewed a totoal of 4 10mm nuts. 2 on the side of the gate and 2 on the inside. Then removed the entire light assembly and replaced bulbs. EASY as 123

Quick Reply: Lift gate tail lights removal