3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Water in Battery Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:32 PM
jdschemm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in Battery Compartment

I have 150 miles on my new 2013 Durago. Kept hearing a slooshing sound. Took it back to the dealer and they asked if the sound was coming from around the passenbger seat.. they knew there was water in the battery compartment under the seat. This seem to be a common problem. Where is the water coming from? How do I keep it from happening again? Hope this isnt a long line fo isis to the dealer!

Old 09-11-2013, 09:34 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Never heard of this before.
STEVE

Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 PM
V for Victory
All Star

Did they do the finger test?

Put finger in clear water substance then finger in mouth to test if water or battery liquid. HA just kidding hope they figure it out and fix the issue. first I have read about this issue too.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

The compartment I thought had a drain hole of sorts
Weird
STEVE

Old 09-11-2013, 09:43 PM
jdschemm

it has a automatic drain plug of sorts but apparently doesnt work. I id open the compartment today and the water is very slimmy and smells moldy.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:44 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran

Hopefully just a simple plumbing issue......roto rooter on the way.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:04 PM
Hwood
Default Any updates?

Any updates on this? I am having the same issue with my 2013 Durango. Quite a bit of water in the battery compartment. I was hoping to find the solution online and do a quick DIY repair if possible.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:48 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by jdschemm
I have 150 miles on my new 2013 Durago. Kept hearing a slooshing sound. Took it back to the dealer and they asked if the sound was coming from around the passenbger seat.. they knew there was water in the battery compartment under the seat. This seem to be a common problem. Where is the water coming from? How do I keep it from happening again? Hope this isnt a long line fo isis to the dealer!
Perhaps they steam cleaned the carpet and water shot into the battery compartment. Or you've got a hole somewhere in the compartment - perhaps a breather, but not in the bottom of the compartment since it would drain out and not build up. I doubt the rear heater has its own heater core, so probably not coolant. Wonder if the sunroof drain runs near the battery compartment?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:01 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Crawl under your D on the passenger side and look at the bottom of the well. Do you see any damage? It's possible road debris knocked the plug out/loose or damaged the actual pan itself, separate from the plug.

My 2011 has never had any water or moisture in that compartment; and I've had it through unpaved/muddy/flooded roads.

Definitely a problem as obviously water and power don't mix.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:51 PM
TAK40

I have this problem quite frequently as we'll. So far I have not been able to find out where exactly it comes from. I do make it a point to reach under the battery compartment from the outside and pull the drain plug out to relieve the water build up. Happens mostly when I drive thru the rain, any rain. The battery compartment appears to be coated so the chances of rust are minimal and I haven't seen any corrosion on the battery connections. Just remember to pull the drain after you drive in the rain or go thru a car wash and let it drain for about an hour depending on the outside temperature.

Quick Reply: Water in Battery Compartment