3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Smoke at start-up TSB out

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:19 PM
goodB0Y
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me to the list... 3500km, 2 liters of oil and blue smoke at startup... Very sad

Old 11-10-2014, 01:41 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by goodB0Y
Add me to the list... 3500km, 2 liters of oil and blue smoke at startup... Very sad
They're machines and imperfect, and there is a fix.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:19 PM
goodB0Y
Amateur

Originally Posted by bbtkd

Thanxs buddy...

But I disagree that there is a "fix" and that oil use and blue smoke is some how acceptable.

Having read anything I can find on the Internet and talking to many people it's obvious to me that there are many that are not fixed with either of the solutions suggested in this thread.

And there are many different conditions that can cause blue smoke at startup...

I read one thread where the owner had a short block installed under warranty... And one that had there cylinder heads replaced... both for the blue smoke at startup.... Also some who have had dodge deny there is a problem.

For someone who just forked out 57 thousands dollars for a vehicle (me) I can tell you that it is very unsettling to have this happen. Add to that dodge considers oil usage of 1 liter per 1200 km normal usage and I'm kinda sad...

If I came across as bashing the Durango please know I'm not.

But I am interested in knowing how prevalent this condition is... Which is why I added my comment. I'm also interested in knowing what can cause it and what can be done to remedy it.

I'm still in the diagnosis process with my dealer. If like many say here and on other forums that it is common and does not affect the reliability then I'm sure I'll come to the same conclusion.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:51 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Yes, you are correct that the pan may not resolve the issue for some. It did for me. Some are getting excessive blow-by and having to resort to catch cans.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:26 AM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Maybe yours is fixed but there are a ton that ARE NOT. So, please stop saying they are fixed UNTIL they are 100% FIXED.

I just sent my certified letter to Chrysler yesterday. They now have 15 days to fix my truck or I will be getting what is owed to me!

They consider it to be normal....bwhahahahahah Not me nor a ton of folks around the Country.

Last edited by detailsbyfrank; 11-11-2014 at 07:58 AM. Reason: took out "anger" line...lol
Old 11-11-2014, 07:29 AM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Yes, you are correct that the pan may not resolve the issue for some. It did for me. Some are getting excessive blow-by and having to resort to catch cans.

Even the catch can's are not the fix. I have the bigger oil pan, updated flash, and also a catch can and it STILL smokes on start-up.

So, I wonder what gadget they are going to say it needs and then take MONTHS to get it out.....just like these break booster recall's!

Old 11-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frank we all know how upset you are, but no need to jump on other forum members who are only trying to help. Channel your anger at Dodge

Good luck with your case

Old 11-11-2014, 07:56 AM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Wash man, he is not the only person doing this.

I am not trying to be "angry", I am just tired of seeing folks telling other folks this is fixed when it is 100% not. Just a select few still have this issue. When I say select, I am not talking 2 or three folks, I am talking 100's. When they see things like this posted around the world wide web, it makes them think there is something available to have done to their vehicles to fix the issue when there is not.

By the way, I stated I directed my "anger" to Chrysler yesterday....amongst the other 100 times I talked to them this past year and 5 months.

Thank you!

Old 11-11-2014, 01:03 PM
goodB0Y
Amateur

Like I said earlier there are many different conditions that can cause this situation.

If you read the jeep forums you'll find several people who are also complaining about it...

Catch can has worked for some.

Updated pan and ecm flash has (as far as I've been able to see) has had limited success.

There is a thread on the net where a new short block was installed.

And a thread where the heads were replaced.

Many different causes for the same problem.

I could live with a puff now and then if I could feel comfortable knowing it's not a big deal and won't hurt my reliability. I'm just in the middle of figuring it out.

I'm also willing to buy and install a catch can, a couple of hundred bucks is nothing, I really like this thing... But not before all the other possibilities have been ruled out...

Anyone who has this condition is well entitled to be a bit angry or concerned... Blue smoke is "usually" indicative of a poorly maintained vehicle and or worn out engine.... And for me... Who invested allot of money... It makes me feel just really worried... But we'll see. First appointment with the dealership on Thursday.

Last edited by goodB0Y; 11-11-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:15 PM
goodB0Y
Amateur

I just wanted to add that I don't Park on a hill.

Also don't see smoke on a regular basis... Just once in a while. It seems like long drives and /or spirited driving will make it more pronounced. All this leads me to believe that it might be just the nature of the engine and that a catch can might fix it or lessen it...

But I have only 3500km and I just added my second liter of oil so... Idk...

Also surprised how dirty the oil is after 3500km...

Last edited by goodB0Y; 11-11-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Smoke at start-up TSB out