Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now now children.......

Old 11-05-2013, 03:34 PM
BadBenz94
Veteran

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
It's how the ecu learns the pedal accelerator position. It's part of the joy of have an electronic throttle body, but it's a very simple process. Cycle the key to the on position, wait for the dummy lights to go out, slowly press the gas pedal to the floor and let it up just as slowly, cycle the key back to the off position, wait 5 secs and then start the engine.

We've been over this before, the pentastar moves a lot of air for a V6 so of course it's going to be louder when it's under load. Most companies put undersized throttle bodies on V6 to cover up their inherently noisy nature. I don't know why this concept is so difficult to grasp.

I read somewhere(Ill find it at some point) that Dodge tuned the exhaust to give it more of a truck sound and worked hard at it. They easily could have made it very quiet...they chose not to.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:17 PM
hairless_ape
Rookie

Originally Posted by Crew Member
Mind explaining to all us lesser minds why the GM 3.6 with the same displacement and basically same power numbers seems significantly quieter?
Are you obtuse or lazy to look things up? I did tell you the DD moves a lot more air, and I meant it. That wonderfully quiet GM 3.6 LLT has a smaller throttle body and a granny approved 2" exhaust system on that Traverse; compared with 2.5" for Pentastar equipped DD.

Now do you get it, smart guy?

Old 11-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate the input.

I got ambitious and searched around on Google for a while and came up with two stories that explained the problem and fix. The stories are in USA Today on Aug. 14, 2012 when Chrysler announced the fix. The info also appeared on TorqueNews.com on the same day in a story by Patrick Rall. Neither site allowed me to copy their URL so if you need to read it you'll have to go into their archives.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Crew Member
Professional

Are you obtuse or lazy to look things up? I did tell you the DD moves a lot more air, and I meant it. That wonderfully quiet GM 3.6 LLT has a smaller throttle body and a granny approved 2" exhaust system on that Traverse; compared with 2.5" for Pentastar equipped DD.

Now do you get it, smart guy?
You certainly live up to your screen name. What a douche. You have zero credibility with me.

Originally Posted by BadBenz94
I read somewhere(Ill find it at some point) that Dodge tuned the exhaust to give it more of a truck sound and worked hard at it. They easily could have made it very quiet...they chose not to.
Honestly when the wife is backing it up-grade into the garage, the exhaust sounds like a 4-banger to me.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 AM
IlliniJeeper
Rookie

Originally Posted by BadBenz94
And it's one of the "Pros" that helped me choose the '13 Durango over the '13 Traverse. I like the growl of the Durango.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 AM
BadBenz94
Veteran

You certainly live up to your screen name. What a douche. You have zero credibility with me.

Honestly when the wife is backing it up-grade into the garage, the exhaust sounds like a 4-banger to me.
I don't think it sounds bad, but think it could sound much better, however the GF won't let me experiment with it, so stock it stays(exhaust wise....

Chris

Old 11-06-2013, 11:04 AM
colby1035

The problem with the V6, concerning drive-ability, is the lack of torque, only 260. Also having 290 HP.
This means you need to get into the upper RPM's to get much power.
So add in a heavy SUV, and you have a vehicle that needs the engine pushed hard to get any kind of quick acceleration.
Now if you had the Hemi with 390 torque, just a little bit of throttle at low RPM's will get you going, or accelerate when at hwy speed.
FYI, Torque is your friend when it comes to day to day driving. The more the better!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:40 AM
hairless_ape
Rookie

That's what you get for whining about the "noisy" engine and then getting condescending because YOU didn't understand the answer. Or did you forget that you got smart with me? And now you're just pissy because you know you were wrong...grow up.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:02 AM
50 SHADES OF MINERAL GRAY
Rookie

Have you done the pedal calibration 50? It does help throttle response quite a bit. Dual exhaust also helps.
okay, so I did it and I feel like it helped...should I continue to do it or once is enough?

Quick Reply: Any V-6 problems out there?