Towing Video of our 2013 Durango RT

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:07 PM
DodgeRT13
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Video of our 2013 Durango RT

Hi Guys,

Here is a video of our Durango towing/Retrieving our Rinker 246 BR boat. Boat is 5500 Lbs. and trailer about 1000 lbs.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:52 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice rig! Is the ramp steep enough for the hill start assist to work?

Old 11-12-2013, 12:21 AM
lhymes

Nice man. Silly question, but is it 4WD or RWD?

Old 11-12-2013, 01:17 AM
DodgeRT13
Amateur

Originally Posted by lhymes
Nice man. Silly question, but is it 4WD or RWD?

4WD. I actually forgot to release the parking brake when I started to pull the boat out of the water. It just powered along as if nothing was behind it. I was impressed!
I used to tow that boat with a Navigator with 8600lbs. Towing capacity. The Durango felt stronger.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:21 AM
DodgeRT13
Amateur

Originally Posted by shelbymopar89
Nice rig! Is the ramp steep enough for the hill start assist to work?

It probably did. But I don't take chances in the ramp, its slippery, steep and a heavy tow. So just as routine I have parking break engage, left foot on brake, right foot on accelerator and truck on first gear only. Pulled it with power!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:55 PM
GDM
Professional

Nice rig. Loading a boat is not an easy task especially in the wind. You did a nice job. I too trailer a boat, not quite as large as yours, but large enough (18.5 foot fiberglass with 175 HP engine). A couple tips I will do to help with the launch and retrieve are: keep the tailgate open so you can better communicate with the driver, and either power the boat up to the roller on the trailer (less or no winching required), or replace your single speed winch with a two speed winch.....will save your back trying to bring the boat onto the trailer the last several inches if powering it on is not working or possible. It appears you have an anti slip surface on the tongue portion you were standing on. Happy boating with a great tow vehicle.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:37 PM
DodgeRT13
Amateur

Originally Posted by GDM
Nice rig. Loading a boat is not an easy task especially in the wind. You did a nice job. I too trailer a boat, not quite as large as yours, but large enough (18.5 foot fiberglass with 175 HP engine). A couple tips I will do to help with the launch and retrieve are: keep the tailgate open so you can better communicate with the driver, and either power the boat up to the roller on the trailer (less or no winching required), or replace your single speed winch with a two speed winch.....will save your back trying to bring the boat onto the trailer the last several inches if powering it on is not working or possible. It appears you have an anti slip surface on the tongue portion you were standing on. Happy boating with a great tow vehicle.
Thanks for the tips. The two speed winch is going to be my spring project. That wind was tough pinning the boat to the docks.
We don't launch and retrieve too much anymore since the boat sits on a lift in the marina almost all year. We go to tablerock lake twice a year and they have very steep ramp where we launch where the durangos power will be tested.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 PM
zaktrafton
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Towed our 2 up steel horse trailer today. Pulled great.

Quick Reply: Towing Video of our 2013 Durango RT