3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Tire Pressure Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:44 PM
50 SHADES OF MINERAL GRAY
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Light

Pretty sure I've seen people talk about the tire pressure light being on but didn't see anything for what my issue might be. 2500 miles - I notice it primarily when I'm driving on highway and it's not everytime. about 30-40 minutes into my drive, the light comes on, flashes for a couple minutes, then stops flashing, but remains on. within 5 minutes or so, it goes off...it has also come back on, before I arrive at my destination, but not always...sometimes it's just once. This has been going on for about a week now and I have not put air in the tires. just seems odd to me that it would not stay on all the time if the air pressure was low. could this be a faulty pressure monitor?

One thing I do want to add is the light did come on around the 1000 mile mark, I filled the tires back to the recommended psi, so it's not that I have just totally neglected the issue.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:52 PM
BadBenz94
Veteran

Originally Posted by 50 SHADES OF MINERAL GRAY
Pretty sure I've seen people talk about the tire pressure light being on but didn't see anything for what my issue might be. 2500 miles - I notice it primarily when I'm driving on highway and it's not everytime. about 30-40 minutes into my drive, the light comes on, flashes for a couple minutes, then stops flashing, but remains on. within 5 minutes or so, it goes off...it has also come back on, before I arrive at my destination, but not always...sometimes it's just once. This has been going on for about a week now and I have not put air in the tires. just seems odd to me that it would not stay on all the time if the air pressure was low. could this be a faulty pressure monitor?

One thing I do want to add is the light did come on around the 1000 mile mark, I filled the tires back to the recommended psi, so it's not that I have just totally neglected the issue.

So when the light is on do you check to see what the pressure is registering?

If it's low, fill it. If it's not then it sounds faulty. Am I making this too simple or missing the point?

Chris

Old 11-12-2013, 08:21 PM
hairless_ape
Rookie

If you filled them when it was cold and the tires weren't warmed up it's also possible you over filled. The boss lady did that to her Prius last year and TPMS warning lights would flash for a while before going solid. If that's the case; it would explain why it only happens after you've been driving for a while.

But it's all just speculation until you check your pressure. And if it's normal when the light is out, check it again while it's lit.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:14 AM
50 SHADES OF MINERAL GRAY
Rookie

Originally Posted by BadBenz94
So when the light is on do you check to see what the pressure is registering?

If it's low, fill it. If it's not then it sounds faulty. Am I making this too simple or missing the point?

Chris
the problem is when it comes on, I'm on the highway...within minutes it goes off so no I do not check...when I drive on backroads it does not go on. I understand I should have it checked and I'm going to, I was just wondering if this is an issue with the Durango's.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:32 AM
J6L
Rookie

I had my low tire pressure light come on last year. The cause was a nail in the left rear tire. The dash board screen immediately switched to the 4 tire screen showing the current tire pressure in all 4 wheels. This screen tells you who is the culprit as the affected tire is flashing so there is no guessing. I then filled the tire back up over 36psi to reset the light/system. Once the pressure falls below 30psi it will come back on. I made it home after a second fill and changed out the bad tire with the spare until repairs could be made. Not sure if this story will help you out but I have had no issue with the tire monitoring system.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 AM
rvarner
Professional

Yeah, just go to the tire pressure screen on the dash screen and it will tell you what your pressures are on the highway or any other time.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Fullslp
Captain

Its pretty obvious when you have a low tire since the EVIC goes berserk. I think the OPs problem is the low tire pressure LIGHT is flashing. This could be the sensor in your spare tire. which isn't connected to the EVIC but IS connected to the Low tire light. Check the spare.....

Old 11-13-2013, 11:36 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

No sensor in spare on my 2013 ...had tire off rim no sensor at all
STEVE

Old 11-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
No sensor in spare on my 2013 ...had tire off rim no sensor at all
STEVE
Interesting Steve. My ram did have the sensor in the spare so I assumed the D had it too. Good to know.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Just read in the "big" owners manual that a tire pressure monitoring sensor IS located in the spare if the vehicle is equipped with a matching full-size spare wheel and tire assembly. But since most of us are equipped with 20s I guess the 17 inch spare would not have them....

It does go on to say that a low spare will NOT illuminate the
telltale light on the dash but a system malfunction has / is occurring. A malf TPMS, electronic device, window tinting, snow or chains can all possibly cause the light to flicker. Hope that narrows it down.

Last edited by Fullslp; 11-13-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Light