3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

AWD vs. RWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:33 AM
mmillerao
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD vs. RWD

Thinking of replacing my AWD '12 Citadel with a RWD '14 R/T. Wondering who has experience with the RWD version.

It looks like RWD has the same final drive ratio as AWD and this being a on-road oriented SUV, the only use I see for AWD is snow which for my area of the country is 3 days per year.

What's the weight difference? Is the RWD any quicker?

Old 11-19-2013, 10:40 AM
MJNewman
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm sure rwd would be a little lighter but i love my rwd R/T

Old 11-19-2013, 11:21 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Keep in mind the Durango is rear wheel biased. That means the majority of the time its a RWD. What the AWD provides is a lot more traction should a situation arise and not only in snowy rainy conditions where power needs to be spread out a bit. With the AWD option you also get the low range transfer case which should you get a boat or camper you may need to get it up a steep boat ramp or incline.
You will get a bit more power from the RWD on take off due to static drivetrain lose but with the potential lose of traction that is a mute point in my opinion.

STEVE

Old 11-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Trace3rd
Professional

If you ever want to do a burn out, get the RWD. Otherwise AWD, its like a swiss army knife, you may never use the toothpick but its nice to know its there when your eating popcorn.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:15 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran

I back my 3000# trailer up the gravel drive and with the AWD not a tire spins. Love that. Don't do it often, but nice to have it. THink it adds about 200# to the DD weight. If you don't tow and there's no snow, get the RWD.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Acceleration wise in dry they are near equal with both running same trap speed/ times. Torque management is set so high and our 2nd- 4th shift just seals the deal on slower times. Our power to weight to gearing ratio should yield high 14s but with all the nannies it just doesn't matter. Even the 2014s should be quicker than 15.0 anyways keep the AWD if you already have it, works great in the rain as well and no real penalty with MPG either. My2

Old 11-19-2013, 06:48 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran

Originally Posted by Trace3rd
its like a swiss army knife, you may never use the toothpick but its nice to know its there when your eating popcorn.
That's the post of the day right there! Love it!

So, to the original poster, is this about rwd vs. awd or just trying to convince yourself to upgrade to a 14? You can tell us, we won't tell. lol