Hello, new to forum, have 2014 Durango Qs

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 04:28 PM
NutmegState
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, new to forum, have 2014 Durango Qs

Hello,

I am new to this forum. However, I am not new to the Durango models. I used to own a 2000 Durango SLT until I blew two pistons. At 190K miles, the cost of repair even if I do it myself is not worth it to me so I decided to look for a new Durango.

I am looking at the 2014 SXT with perhaps the Rallye Package.

The Limited is nice by the price of 38K to 40K is more than I want to pay.

My questions:

1) My last truck had leather seats and they actually lasted the 190K miles between kids, dogs and you name it. None of the seats are ripped or worn out. The SXT has cloth seats, what do you think of the durability?

2) There are no roof luggage rails -- seriously, WTF! Are there easy DIY roof rails for the Durango?

3) I hate, I hate the chrome trim and wheels. Over time it will just be a pitted mess or scratched beyond repair. The Rallye package adds the following:

• 20-inch Hyper Black aluminum wheels
• Dark-tinted headlamp bezels
• Body-color grille
• Body-color performance front fascia
• Body-color wheel lip moldings
• Body-color sill moldings
• Body-color rear fascia

BUT, it requires!! me to add other stuff I simply do not want. Anyone have idea how hard it would be to DIY those items? I have a friend with a shop. He is willing to loan me the use of the shop but the work is on my own time.

4) So, similar to my Durango 2000 SLT, the ride was horrible compared to the R/T of that era. The dealer, despite me not wanting to, had me drive a Limited with a Hemi and a R/T. The ride, is definitely more planted and refined compared to the Durango. Same with the Jeep Cherokee, definitely a more refined ride. Are there after market suspension/shock kits for current gen (2013/14) Durango that will give me a better ride? Back in 2000 I found a DIY kit. A few hours of work and I a better riding Durango. Hoping to do the same.

5) Side step rail. Is there even an option? The wife is beyond upset not to have one.

6) Any known issues with the current gen? My 2000 went through 3 Window regulators and radiator replacements then I care to talk about.

Anyone who may have some opinion or is a 2013/2014 owner hope they may chime in.

Thank you

Old 02-16-2014, 05:29 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the sxt has a roof rack does it not? I'm sure there is an option for it. The RT is the only one i know that doesn't have it and cannot add it as an option.

The Rallye is essentially the same as the RT but without the hemi, the leather, and all of the other goodies.

There are mopar and aftermarket running boards.

Mine are shown here on my RT.

http://s21.postimg.org/e1mxjqnqv/IMG...122327_771.jpg

RT has stiff performance suspension. SXT is softer.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:42 PM
CPW1265
Professional
Smile

Originally Posted by NutmegState
Hello,

I am new to this forum. However, I am not new to the Durango models. I used to own a 2000 Durango SLT until I blew two pistons. At 190K miles, the cost of repair even if I do it myself is not worth it to me so I decided to look for a new Durango.

I am looking at the 2014 SXT with perhaps the Rallye Package.

The Limited is nice by the price of 38K to 40K is more than I want to pay.

My questions:

1) My last truck had leather seats and they actually lasted the 190K miles between kids, dogs and you name it. None of the seats are ripped or worn out. The SXT has cloth seats, what do you think of the durability?

I had a 2011 Crew with cloth seats and had the dog (black lab) on it and my nephew who threw up on it. It held up the 3 years I had it and no issues.
2) There are no roof luggage rails -- seriously, WTF! Are there easy DIY roof rails for the Durango?
From others in the forum it is more of a hassle to install them especially if not done correctly and you get leakage

3) I hate, I hate the chrome trim and wheels. Over time it will just be a pitted mess or scratched beyond repair. The Rallye package adds the following:

• 20-inch Hyper Black aluminum wheels
• Dark-tinted headlamp bezels
• Body-color grille
• Body-color performance front fascia
• Body-color wheel lip moldings
• Body-color sill moldings
• Body-color rear fascia

BUT, it requires!! me to add other stuff I simply do not want. Anyone have idea how hard it would be to DIY those items? I have a friend with a shop. He is willing to loan me the use of the shop but the work is on my own time.

I had my chrome pieces wrapped in matte black vinyl. I share the same dislike for chrome as you do

4) So, similar to my Durango 2000 SLT, the ride was horrible compared to the R/T of that era. The dealer, despite me not wanting to, had me drive a Limited with a Hemi and a R/T. The ride, is definitely more planted and refined compared to the Durango. Same with the Jeep Cherokee, definitely a more refined ride. Are there after market suspension/shock kits for current gen (2013/14) Durango that will give me a better ride? Back in 2000 I found a DIY kit. A few hours of work and I a better riding Durango. Hoping to do the same.

5) Side step rail. Is there even an option? The wife is beyond upset not to have one.

6) Any known issues with the current gen? My 2000 went through 3 Window regulators and radiator replacements then I care to talk about.

Ive had my 2014 Limited now since Oct 12, 2013 with aprox 5000 miles and as of now no issues. I had a problem with my 11 Crew the last couple months with the TIPM but turned it in before i fixed it :-)

Anyone who may have some opinion or is a 2013/2014 owner hope they may chime in.

I love it and the 8 speed transmission is awesome. The subtle design upgrades in my opinion are great and make it different than other SUVs on the road. It is an overall great vehicle. If its possible for you I'd go with the 14 unless you come by an offer you cant pass up.
Thank you

Good Luck and post pics when you decide

Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 AM
uvalmore

CPW1265- is that vinyl or plastidip? Looks nice!

Old 02-17-2014, 11:25 AM
CPW1265
Professional

Originally Posted by uvalmore
CPW1265- is that vinyl or plastidip? Looks nice!

vinyl wrap. thanks

Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 AM
NutmegState
Rookie

@CPW1265:

That looks awesome. Where did you get it done? About how much did it cost?

I would so love to do what you have done with your truck.

My truck is Red but I think it will look great with the black trim.

Also, looking at eBay, I have been able to find the black Rally Rims for about $700 new. I believe I will get those as well. Hopefully I can sell the stock rims for something to offset the cost.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 AM
CPW1265
Professional

Originally Posted by NutmegState
@CPW1265:

That looks awesome. Where did you get it done? About how much did it cost?

I would so love to do what you have done with your truck.

My truck is Red but I think it will look great with the black trim.

Also, looking at eBay, I have been able to find the black Rally Rims for about $700 new. I believe I will get those as well. Hopefully I can sell the stock rims for something to offset the cost.

A local guy in Staten Island, NY , NDVinyls. It was $450

Old 02-18-2014, 04:11 PM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

Damn, $450 to just cover the grill?

Old 02-18-2014, 04:20 PM
CPW1265
Professional

Originally Posted by hellomoto_25
Damn, $450 to just cover the grill?
No it was for all the chrome accents. Grill, lower lip, side panels, roof rack and back bumper

Old 02-18-2014, 10:32 PM
NutmegState
Rookie

Originally Posted by CPW1265
A local guy in Staten Island, NY , NDVinyls. It was $450
So worth it! Thank you

I am in CT, I will have to look around.

Quick Reply: Hello, new to forum, have 2014 Durango Qs