3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

At what cost would you take a '13 over a '14?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:12 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First word of advice, in a vehicle this big, get the Hemi. Second, get what makes the most sense for you financially. I walked with my 2013 R/T loaded for 28K.....it was a no brainer for me.

As far as the depreciation comments, c'mon man. Every car depreciates, some quicker than others. If you are looking at new cars and worrying about depreciation values then you shouldn't be looking at new cars. lol The ratings you are using will be updated in a year or so to show even more depreciation on the 14. It's all magazine gimmicks to pursuade you to buy. Wise up!

The only thing that depreciates quicker than a car is a Jaguars football ticket after kick off!

Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 PM
safford197
Professional

If you worry about depreciation and are considering a '13, buy used. Carmax or otherwise you should be able to find a '13 with less than 10K miles or even a '12 with less than 25K. There were no significant changes between '11 and '13. If you find a version of the DD you like with a Hemi any year will have the 6 speed.

The only thing I'd be cautious about is the Hemi requires little high price maintenance by 36K miles (new plugs). But if you end up saving 40% off MSRP who cares...

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Double_D
Amateur

I waited for the 14 for the new stuff and pretty happy I did. If I could have gotten an 13 RT for 28K new with the few options that I must have I would have been more than willing to go that way.

In OP situation, I would pass on over optioned over priced 13's. What good is a 20% discount on a bunch of over priced options you don't need or want. You should get dealer down on 42-46k MSRP 14 to where its a much better choice than a $40k 13. I just got $5200 off my $44180 MSRP, no haggling that was the discount on their site. I could have prolly gotten more but I was happy with that. So why not get the vehicle you want, in the color you want, with the new features you want, at a better price?

All dealers are different, cars sell for different prices in different areas, etc. Use truecar.com to find out what they are selling for in your area and what the invoice price is. Once you know that, start checking dealers to get what you want for what you want to pay.

As for RT vs V6, personal choice there. I really would have liked an RT for the once in a while excitement when driving, but I am absolutely GIDDY that I am at 225 miles on my first half tank of gas and it just keeps getting better. My 05 4Runner v8 4wd all time seriously made me cry filling it up every 4-5 days.

Last edited by Double_D; 02-20-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Renink
Amateur

Originally Posted by Double_D
As for RT vs V6, personal choice there. I really would have liked an RT for the once in a while excitement when driving, but I am absolutely GIDDY that I am at 225 miles on my first half tank of gas and it just keeps getting better.
That is one of the things I am struggling with. My 02 Jeep Liberty Limited gets like 13-14mpg. It was fine when I bought the car in 2001 and gas was like $1.50 per gallon but with gas prices they are now it's just ridiculous. Keeping that truck as the wifey take-the-kids-to-school mobile in the winter time since it just goes through everything.

I would love the RT but I won't get to open it up as much as I would like but I have always wanted a more powerful "toy" and have always admired the cars and trucks with the Hemi. I even had the new Explorer Sport on my list if I was going for something more than a regular V6. I can't picture towing anything too heavy for the foreseeable future so that isn't my big consideration.

After posting this I was thinking about it more and they would have to go much more on the price for me to consider the 13s. Probably too much for it to make it viable for them to sell it to me. It was the refresh on the '14 that brought the Durango back on the table for me. I have only sent very few inquiries out to dealers so far and it's not like they are being very flexible. I didn't want to go the TrueCar route since that could leave money on the table but I might need to bust it out just as an ice breaker.

I don't mind negotiating, I haggle prices with people all the time at my job, I just hate dealing with car dealerships in particular.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:32 AM
robbieg25

Originally Posted by fishandgrits
First word of advice, in a vehicle this big, get the Hemi.
I bought a V6 since I put a lot miles on there car.. The better gas mileage was worth it to me. I'd love to have a V8 don't get me wrong.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Renink;3136712] I even had the new Explorer Sport on my list if I was going for something more than a regular V6. QUOTE]

Don't do it, I have a buddy that bought the loaded Explorer last year, it cost him 46k and he would trade it in a heart beat for my R/T. He is planning on trading it in this year for an R/T

Old 02-20-2014, 12:44 PM
alfie43
Amateur

Originally Posted by Renink
So, I have been looking at a new truck for a while and right now the 2014 Durango was at the top of my list with the refresh and all. I have been following posts on this site and others and thought I would finally register and ask some questions.

I was looking at a 2014 RT or a Limited/Citadel v6 with specific options depending on best deals. As specced I am seeing anywhere from $42k-46k MSRP. I was about to start reaching out to dealers for pricing and maybe start scheduling some test drives when I saw a dealer had about 5 leftover 2013 Citadels basically all maxed out (MSRP $51k+).

Now they had a few options I wasn't really interested in like DVD entertainment and 2nd row Captains chairs and colors I wouldn't have preferred but they also priced them at $39,999. That's over a 20% discount. I liked that the 2014 had the new transmission, 8.4 uconnect and I don't like losing a possible seat by not getting the bench in the back but I am wondering if it is foolish not to consider the 2013.

I could try to hardball them on he 2013 when getting pricing on a 2014 but I have read about how much more improved the 2014 felt. What kind of discount would you feel would be too good to pass up?
Its all about what your priorities are. Do you want spend less for less truck, or will you pay more for more truck? It really is that simple.

While the 13s were a great package, there is no debate that the new 2014 with its new trans and interior is a game changer. Theses upgrades transform a previously good vehicle to a class leading vehicle. Consumers Report gave the 2014 Durango the 2nd highest score of all SUVs at 83. Only the Lexus 450 scored higher.

Three weeks ago when I went shopping, I pondered over the same decision your are grappling with. However, one test drive of a 2013 and a 2014 and it was no contest; I ordered a 2014 R/T. That 8 spd trans is sweet.

Not trying to be sarcastic, but if it was only about price, I'd buy Dodge Journey. Good luck with your decision. Be true to your self and you'll be happy with your purchase..

Alfie (Mariano)

Last edited by alfie43; 02-20-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:44 PM
clh1220
Amateur

I don't see the dodge journey comparing to my 13 citadel.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:30 PM
alfie43
Amateur

Originally Posted by clh1220
I don't see the dodge journey comparing to my 13 citadel.
Of course not. I agree with you. They are not in the same segment. I was only exaggerating to make a point that the OP can spend less, but he'll get less.

Mariano (Alfie)

Old 02-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Renink
Amateur

This is what I hate about dealers.... I will just post the options I sent to one of the dealers and not include the rest of my email.

Option 1:
2014 Dodge Durango R/T AWD in Maximum Steel Metallic (May consider Granite Crystal but not the preferred color)
Options: Power Sunroof, Radio: Uconnect 8.4an AM/FM/Sxm/HD/Nav, Trailer Tow Group IV, Premium Nappa Leather Group, Technology Group, Standard Wheels" 20"xx.0" Prem Painted Aluminum (Hyper Black)

Option 2:
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD in Maximum Steel Metallic - Black Interior (May consider Granite Crystal but not the preferred color) 3.6l V6
Options: Trailer Tow Group IV, Technology Group, Skid Plate Group (Not as mandatory)

Both options should include a bench in the second row since I am not interested in the captain's chairs. I would like to know what would be your out the door price not including rebates and I would also like to know what rebates are available with these two options. "

Here is their response.
Great to meet you! I have just read your email and will do my very best to deliver the best vehicle purchasing experience you've had!

Here's your preferred pricing on BOTH options for the 2014 Dodge Durango:
Option1: $46,364 (minus $1000 available cash rebate, unless you take the special financing rates)
Option2: $46,250 (minus $1000 available cash rebate, unless you take the special financing rates)

Would love to set up a test drive at your convenience. The only factor is that these vehicles are rare within the limits and options you've set. That's alright. We can factory order them for you, at which point would take about 6-8 weeks standard shipping time. I have seen them as fast as 3! =)

Quick Reply: At what cost would you take a '13 over a '14?