3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

At what cost would you take a '13 over a '14?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Shelbyguy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't done this already, you should build your options on Edmunds and print it out. It will show MSRP and invoice as well as what they call True Market Value I believe. Most seem to be getting their 14's below invoice. When I took delivery of mine a few weeks ago( at a dealer 70 miles away from my home) , I told the salesman that my local dealer said they couldn't come close to his price and he told me the dealer gets a bonus on the number of vehicles per month they move so they can even take a loss on some sales because the bonus more than makes up for it.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Renink
Amateur

Originally Posted by alfie43
renick,
Dealerships can price a vehicle at what ever amount they want. We live in a free market system. Calling them names and other offensive remarks does nothing to help you get a better price.
I didn't have to call them names, fellow posters took care of that already. I am reaching out to a few dealerships, they just happen to be the first to get back to me and the first I sent an email to since I bought a car from them years ago. To long ago for the salesperson I dealt with to still be there though. I even reminded them about it in the email and that I am looking at ordering from factory (Like I did with them before) since I have been searching local dealer inventory and have not seen it as specced in stock. I did half the work for them by searching their in stock vehicles and put every specific option I wanted. I mentioned that I already had an understanding of the car costs and was looking for what offers they could make. The "Sales Manager" passed off my email to an associate since she was heading out for the day and wouldn't be back until Saturday.

I am totally expecting an updated email from her on Saturday if not sooner based on my last email to them but I will not deal with the gentleman that sent me this past email.

I appreciate forums like these because you get a decent overview of decisions and experiences. Just 5 minutes after posting I get a suggested dealer I can reach out to and someone can probably see this post 2 months from now and learn from it as well. It would be great if there a few more dealerships within driving distance that could be suggested. This gets them more business, new customers that aren't normally accessible to them and maybe even repeat customers going forward.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Renink
Amateur

Originally Posted by Shelbyguy
If you haven't done this already, you should build your options on Edmunds and print it out.
Yea, I have researched prices on edmunds, KBB and TrueCar so I have a decent understanding of costs and averages paid. That is also how I planned out my budget and exact options I was looking for. Some of the posts I have seen here and on other sites seem to be pretty amazing with the prices they have negotiated. I'm just not so sure that the dealers in my area deal as much through volume so I don't think it would be as good of ammunition. I am pretty sure I'm going to have to take a trip when I am ready to buy.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Shelbyguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Renink
Yea, I have researched prices on edmunds, KBB and TrueCar so I have a decent understanding of costs and averages paid. That is also how I planned out my budget and exact options I was looking for. Some of the posts I have seen here and on other sites seem to be pretty amazing with the prices they have negotiated. I'm just not so sure that the dealers in my area deal as much through volume so I don't think it would be as good of ammunition. I am pretty sure I'm going to have to take a trip when I am ready to buy.

I really wanted to give the business to my local dealer but all I did was send a request to the other dealer through Edmunds and within 30 minutes I had a price 1K lower than my local dealers "best price". After my local dealer said he couldn't do any better I gave a deposit to the other dealer over the phone and he placed the order so I never even went to the dealership until my order came in and it was time to take delivery. It was actually one of the easiest and quickest car buying experiences I've ever had.

Marty

Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Renink you wont be disappointed if you call Marv and take a ride.
STEVE

Old 02-21-2014, 08:21 AM
JBuda
Amateur

It happened to me in OCT, I ended up taking the 9K off and picking up a 13 RT with a tow package. No regrets.....

Old 02-21-2014, 10:35 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Indeed there is nothing wrong with the 13's, The 6 speed is rock solid and the radios dont need 5 updates to start working correctly right out of the box
STEVE

Old 02-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Double_D
Amateur

Hope you find a good deal Renink. I looked at some of the NY dealer sites and I can tell they are pretty stingy on what they are willing to come right out and offer as a discount. Its all about the local competition. If no other dealers around them are coming that much off the MSRP then they don't need to either. You know what the invoice is for your build with your options. Start there, and tell them the price you want to pay.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:39 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

sent you pm's

Old 02-22-2014, 09:47 AM
WannaV-8
Veteran

Often times dealers can make better deals on new stock due to incentives; which have disappeared from year old new stock. Good luck in the hunt. Oh, don't be afraid to drive or fly a ways to get a much better deal. I drove to KY to get exactly the options I wanted-279 miles each way, and a painless buying experience.

Quick Reply: At what cost would you take a '13 over a '14?