3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Ran over stray bucket on highway

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ran over stray bucket on highway

Well, someone didn't secure their cargo and i ran over a small plastic bucket on the highway in my D. Couldn't avoid it at all. Really big bang and shredded the bucket. Only visible damage so far is to the lower air dam under the front bumper. Just plastic and not even painted from what i can tell. Anyone know how difficult these are to replace? And how much? Looks like just 4 plastic clips holding it to the bumper.

Also, should i be worried about any other damage? Like i said, i couldn't see anything other than that ,but anything you guys think in particular that i should be worried about. I hate Michigan drivers. So irresponsible.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Wash Man
All Star

Worst case would probably be a sharp plastic edge cutting a hose. If you don't see any drips after you park it you are probably ok.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:30 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wash Man
Worst case would probably be a sharp plastic edge cutting a hose. If you don't see any drips after you park it you are probably ok.
Yeah, good point. Didn't see where there may be any vulnerable parts. Most stuff under there is metal and i figure in metal v. brittle plastic = metal wins. The wire harness is off to the passenger side along the rocker as i discovered when installing running boards and that looks safe. The only other wires would be the ones leading to the wheels for abs. Those look good and no error messages on dash.

Didn't see any hoses. There is a bit of a plastic shield covering the engine compartment from the bottom (where the only hole is for oil filter and plug) and i think that probably took most of the impact. I'm just glad it didn't take out the bumper itself or the grill or the radar sensor.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:24 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have lost 3 curb feelers in the last year. 2 to a traffic cone. 1 to a stick. i WILL stop driving in the right lane.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Tvo-2

Originally Posted by mcfarl58
Well, someone didn't secure their cargo and i ran over a small plastic bucket on the highway in my D. Couldn't avoid it at all. Really big bang and shredded the bucket...I hate Michigan drivers
Same exact thing happened to me about a week after buying my Volvo S80 here in CT so rest assured its not just Michigan! Although my Volvo faired slightly worse as it did damage my parking sensors and lower grill...

Old 02-24-2014, 07:56 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tvo-2
Same exact thing happened to me about a week after buying my Volvo S80 here in CT so rest assured its not just Michigan! Although my Volvo faired slightly worse as it did damage my parking sensors and lower grill...
Wow. About three weeks ago, i passed a lazy boy recliner on I75 in auburn hills. It was in the middle of the left lane.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Wash Man
All Star

Originally Posted by mcfarl58
Wow. About three weeks ago, i passed a lazy boy recliner on I75 in auburn hills. It was in the middle of the left lane.

3 years ago, I HIT a lazy boy recliner with my suburban. It had fallen off of a pick up truck and landed smack in the middle of the lane sitting upright like it was in your living room. Everyone in front of me doing 75 swerved to the left or right but the guy directly in front of me waited until the last second. When he was clear and I saw why he moved over it was too late, I had no time to react so it was either possibly flip my suburban trying to avoid it or hit it square on. I chose to hit it without swerving. It exploded into a thousand pieces, spectacular. The poor guy who lost his chair was on the shoulder trying to back up the freeway to come back for it so it was easy to confirm it was his and get his insurance. Fender, bumper, hood, grill, didn't hurt anything mechanical other than headlights and was completely drivable. I was probably at 65 since I did brake as I braced for impact. The airbags didn't even deploy.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wash Man
It exploded into a thousand pieces, spectacular.

Makes you wish you had one of those drive cameras.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:26 AM
brashears113
Amateur

Not a lazy-boy, but my ex wife ran over a tire in our charger. Front bumper, under engine cover, and passengers side fairing torn up. Fortunately nothing more than cosmetic. But $1200 later she learned not to follow so closely.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:22 PM
SlvrSnake
Rookie

Ah it's gonna happen. My wife drove into a casm of some type or hit something in road with her Mazda 3 she had a few years back. Completely smashed out the passenger side foglight lense. Didn't do any body damage some how or mess up the aligment but the whole assembly had to be replaced. Thing cost like $350 and that was after shopping around for a good price on the the part. I think the list price was like $425 or something.

Quick Reply: Ran over stray bucket on highway