3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Potential first time buyer

Old 03-21-2014, 02:52 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alfie43

That brings me to another thought; why don't they put sliding doors on SUVs?

Alfie (Mariano)
Because it would then be a mini van. lol

Maybe gulwing doors as an alternative or pop locks?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:36 PM
twinster2

OK, first I want to say that I really was going to buy a 2014 Durango. I test drove it several times, along with a Jeep GC and a Toyota Highlander. In many ways I liked the
Durango, specifically the ride and roomyness, however, what turned me off was the limited color selection of the interior (sorry but I don't like black and the tan seats with everything else black just looked stupid) and the tail lights (sorry but the Durango is not a race car, so stop putting racing tail lights on it). Ultimately, I purchased the 2013 Highlander, mainly for the resale value and reliabilty. But who knows, maybe in a couple of years, I will again be open to buying a Durango.

Last edited by twinster2; 03-27-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alrighty then. Enjoy your SUV

Old 03-27-2014, 09:39 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Not even the same class of vehicle...Good Luck with the TOY

Old 03-27-2014, 09:59 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motor Trend called the Durango the best American full size suv you can buy. Aside from it not being a full size suv, that's high praise from Chrysler and American hating MT. Beat out all but the Mazda.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:23 AM
mikeinaz

The Toyota is a good solid vehicle that does what its supposed to do. End of story. Its neither inspiring to drive, can tow very much or has any sort of look to it. Just the way Lexus and Toyota like their vehicles and for 80% of people that works. Its a good choice. This particular Dodge is on par w/ the Toyota quality wise and has the look and performance that not many other vehicles have. If the OP doesnt need or care about these extras that set the Dodge apart he will be happy w/ the purchase. My neighbor has a new Highlander and its 1 yr old and needs new tires already, they use the softest tires and make the camber so agressive it wears the tires out very fast. He got 15k miles out of his.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:03 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

THEY USE THE SOFTEST TIRES SO THAT THEY RIDE REAL SOFT AND PEOPLE TRANSLATE THAT INTO REALLY COMFORTABLE, WHEN HE GETS THE RIGHT COMPOUND TIRES ON THERE HE WILL HATE THAT TRUCK. I have a toyota tacoma work pick up. New tires 10k miles, new brakes 15k miles, new shocks 30K miles truck came with passenger tires and they were smooth, I put on Michelin LT tires and its a tank and rattle box
STEVE

Old 03-28-2014, 12:18 PM
salrt
Professional

I traded a Highlander on my D. There is absolutely no way to make that SUV look good! Not even a nice set of wheels/tires can help it's anorexic looks. Not to mention it feels like you are driving an underpowered pregnant Camry. No comparison to a Durango, especially an R/T. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I believe that is what this post was asking for right?

Old 03-28-2014, 01:05 PM
depunz
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was looking at the 2014 Highlander and a Durango for my wife. The Highlander was nice but wasn't as nice as the Durango. And when two or three different people said that either "my mom has a Highlander" or "my Grandma has a Highlander" well that reaffirmed our decision. Going in to finalize a deal this afternoon.
I'm sure the OP will be happy with his Highlander as it was a nice vehicle, just not for us.

Last edited by depunz; 03-28-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:48 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran

Originally Posted by twinster2
OK, first I want to say that I really was going to buy a 2014 Durango. ……... however, what turned me off was the limited color selection of the interior (sorry but I don't like black and the tan seats with everything else black just looked stupid) and the tail lights (sorry but the Durango is not a race car, so stop putting racing tail lights on it). Ultimately, I purchased the 2013 Highlander, mainly for the resale value and reliabilty. But who knows, maybe in a couple of years, I will again be open to buying a Durango.
I owned a 2012 Toyota 4Runner for a year. Good solid truck. I about died of boredom. A $36,000 vehicle and NO adjustments on the passenger seat? You know like up and down and lumbar….maybe? Nope, up and back and seat back only. Is the 40K Highlander more generous to the passenger? Curious. Last I checked Toyota offered 2 interior colors by the way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potential first time buyer