3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Potential first time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM
thbrewst
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential first time buyer

Hi all. Searching for an SUV to replace the family mini-van. In my searching it seems that the new Durango could be a great fit. I am basing this from 1) the specs/options/price and 2) the latest Consumer Report review where the Durango gets relatively high ratings.

My biggest concern by far is reliability. I have heard/read about the horror stories of Dodge/Chrysler products of the past. This is a car for my wife and kids so I have no patience for something where I have to worry about whether they will get where they are going. Historically we are more of a Japanese car family just due to the price/options/reliability combo. It seems that the Durango has the first 2 covered, but I have no way to know what the reliability may be. While CR does not have enough data for a formal rating, their historical assessment is that 'reliability will be 36% below average'. Do folks feel that is a fair assessment or has Dodge improved this situation with their newer models?

I appreciate any insight folks can provide.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 AM
K.Ip
Rookie

this is my first dodge and i have heard the same feedback as well. the car is still too new to say if there are or are not any reliability issues

i have an '14 R/T

here are the reasons why we got the durango:
  • best 3rd row available (comparing to other midsize i.e. pathfinder, explorer)
  • even for the base model, it comes with numerous options that are usually an upgrade in other cars
  • drives great
  • looks great - especially the taillights
  • great technology features in the car i.e. uconnect
  • lack of buttons in the middle and ease of use
  • the electronic dashboard is fantastic
  • remote start
things i dont love about it
  1. MPG (averaging 13+MPG)
  2. braking, feels more sluggish/heavy compared to other SUVs i have driven
i cant think of anything else but good luck
i think it's a BAD A$$ car. otherwise i wouldnt have bought it

-Kevin

Old 02-28-2014, 10:14 AM
WannaV-8
Veteran

Like you, I was a bit concerned after reading. Many problems stemmed from one item in particular, the TIPM or totally integrated power module-the big fuse block under the hood. Jeep and Dodge have had a number of these fail, especially on the first two year run of vehicles. That said, I purchased a 2013 R/T last August and absolutely love this car. I've had two Dodge trucks over the years and both were dependable vehicles and I have put around 8,000 miles on my R/T with no issues so far.

No vehicles today are immune from problems given all the electronics involved. Just surf forums……I think you'll be shocked at how many owners are having problems with "up line" vehicles like the Acura MDX for instance.

Good luck in your hunt!

Bill

Old 02-28-2014, 10:24 AM
insureobx
Rookie

I've had my 12' Durango Citadel for almost a year with 22,000 miles and have not had any issues. Love the way it drives and handles. Easy to park. Very good styling - I get compliments on it all the time. It's a very solid vehicle. You can also purchase a lifetime warranty, like I did, that helps with the worries of any issues down the road.

I have the Hemi because when I was looking I found a demo with about 5k miles on it. In hindsight, I'd probably rather have the gas mileage from the V-6 but still average about 16 mpg with the Hemi, about 18 on trips where I'm running 80 on the expressway.

I'd make the purchase again in a heartbeat. Shoot, already trying to figure out how to get into a 14 at this point.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:16 AM
thbrewst

Great info thus far thanks.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:20 AM
thbrewst

Originally Posted by insureobx
I've had my 12' Durango Citadel for almost a year with 22,000 miles and have not had any issues. Love the way it drives and handles. Easy to park. Very good styling - I get compliments on it all the time. It's a very solid vehicle. You can also purchase a lifetime warranty, like I did, that helps with the worries of any issues down the road.

I have the Hemi because when I was looking I found a demo with about 5k miles on it. In hindsight, I'd probably rather have the gas mileage from the V-6 but still average about 16 mpg with the Hemi, about 18 on trips where I'm running 80 on the expressway.

I'd make the purchase again in a heartbeat. Shoot, already trying to figure out how to get into a 14 at this point.
Thanks. I had actually thought that if we decide to move forward we could potentially add some sort of longer-term warranty. Even though I certainly don't see this car as 'cheap' when you compare features to other cars I feel like we would be 'saving' enough to potentially pay for something like that. But that only helps with cost when something breaks. Stranded on the side of the road there is no fix for.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:31 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

We have a 2011 Durango Crew with 55k miles on the clock. So far, except for a mild alignment issue (nothing unique to the D though), the car has been rock solid.

Aside from routine oil changes, a new turn signal bulb, a fob battery, and tires, this car has been fantastic and I haven't had to make any repairs or worry about anything. We've taken it on half a dozen 2,000 mile trips and its comfortable, reliable, and gets great fuel economy (the V6) for its size. Great amount of storage and space: the third row seats both up and down have a ton more space compared to some other "large" mid-size SUV's on the market we compared against (Highlander, Pilot, Explorer, etc). No regrets here!

The "max" extended warranty offered through Dodge directly is pretty affordable as well (we chose not to purchase it at the time), if you're leaning that way.

Last edited by 03neonRT; 02-28-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:00 PM
alfie43
Amateur

I have had eight Chrysler Minivans and two Jeeps since the early 1990s. I can tell you honestly that only one of those vehicles had issues. My minivans were my daily drivers and were all about convenience and utility. If I wanted performance or style, I drove my former 2010 Camaro, my current Stingray, or my wife's CTS.

I did have reservations as I recently ordered my 2014 Duragno RT, but not about quality or reliability, as I have had outstanding reliability and service from all my Chrysler cars. My hesitation was, and is, about the loss of functionality of a Durango as compared to a minivan.

I am a "card carrying minivanologist". I know these vehicles and the market segment very well. There is no other vehicle that can match the utility and practicality of a mini. They carry 7 people, or haul a full sheet of plywood (or full sofa), all with the comfort of a full size sedan and give you 25 mpg. Not to mention the convenience of the sliding doors. Having said that. I am excited about my new Durango order and I am looking forward its delivery in a couple of weeks.

That brings me to another thought; why don't they put sliding doors on SUVs? Some car company is going to do that eventually and they'll dominate the SUV segment. H*ll, I'd pay another $2000 for a sliding door option on my Durango.

Alfie (Mariano)

Last edited by alfie43; 02-28-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:14 PM
insureobx
Rookie

Originally Posted by thbrewst
Thanks. I had actually thought that if we decide to move forward we could potentially add some sort of longer-term warranty. Even though I certainly don't see this car as 'cheap' when you compare features to other cars I feel like we would be 'saving' enough to potentially pay for something like that. But that only helps with cost when something breaks. Stranded on the side of the road there is no fix for.
That's true. I have the plus roadside assistance package through my insurance company. Hope I never have to use it. But I completely get what you are saying about being stranded.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:30 PM
mikeinaz

We had an 07 Durango and it had nothing but problems, had to be a Monday vehicle. I swore I would not ever buy a Dodge again. Well, I needed something to tow my camper and the boss did not want a truck so the Durango was one of two vehicles that could tow what I needed and had a 3rd row seat. I was pleasantly surprised to see how well they redesigned them and how good they had been in consumer reports. I bought a 13 R/T a year ago and have put 8k on it since. Been a GREAT vehicle for us and I honestly get more people stopping me and asking about it than I do my Corvette! Its black w/ the black out package so it does get a lot of looks. I would buy again w/out a second thought.

Quick Reply: Potential first time buyer