3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Would you buy another DD knowing they will discontinue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:48 PM
FrankADavisJr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jersey Boys

Steve - PM me any time you want to get together.

I'm bummed that we are losing Craig (CMil) so we have to stick together.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Frank Ill keep ya posted

Old 03-06-2014, 09:17 AM
rdkind62
Professional

While I am not in the market to buy another SUV since I have a 2012 R/T with only 26K on it, I would certainly buy another even if there was a possibility of them discontinuing it. I do believe that they will get rid of the basic (read as 6 cylinder) version and leave that to the Jeep brand. I also believe that they will move the R/T or other Hemi powered vehicle to the SRT nameplate and continue its run as a more performance focused vehicle.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Realdeal56
Rookie

The mere fact that they're considering discontinuing the durango or turning it into the Grand wagoneer or whatever the latest rumor is does not bode well for the durango's future.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:50 PM
coldsteel
Captain

But who cares? I don't buy my vehicles for resale value and I don't buy my vehicles because the manufacturer is or is not going to continue producing more of them. I buy vehicles to drive them.

If a current Durango gives you the look, performance, and price that you are looking for then go for it - if not, then keep looking; more will be available for the rest of us to buy.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:48 PM
CJITTY
Amateur

Originally Posted by coldsteel
But who cares? I don't buy my vehicles for resale value and I don't buy my vehicles because the manufacturer is or is not going to continue producing more of them. I buy vehicles to drive them.

If a current Durango gives you the look, performance, and price that you are looking for then go for it - if not, then keep looking; more will be available for the rest of us to buy.
Exactly. .I bought our Citadel for the look of the vehicle and the needs of my family..what they do in the future means nothing to me because we have what we want and enjoying our Durango

Old 03-07-2014, 11:45 AM
zaktrafton
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy another one in a heartbeat if i needed to replace it.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Realdeal56
Rookie

Originally Posted by coldsteel

I care. I only have 24k miles & my brakes failed. Dealer replaced my master cylinder. 4 days later they failed again. Was then told i needed a brake booster & there was a national shortage. i had to get the owner of the dealership on the phone to rectify the situation which took about a month since the 1st time they failed. Read Complaint #2 in this link http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl...ydraulic+Brake

I did not write this but its the exact same situation I was in. So there are brakes failing all over the country. Now imagine what we would have went thru if they discontinue the durango & its impossible to get parts.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Realdeal56
. . . . imagine what we would have went thru if they discontinue the durango & its impossible to get parts.
There will be Durango parts readily available from Dodge for years, if not decades, to come. One of the reasons is because several models will use similar parts, and they always make more parts then they can use. Also, manufacturers don't want to tick off past customers (i.e., potential FUTURE customers) by leaving them high and dry.
For example, only about 9,000 DeLoreans were made from 1982-83 yet tons of parts are readily available. I've seen TV clips of a warehouse where all of the "orphaned" Delorean parts are kept, in fact there are so many parts available rumor is that some guy wants to restart the manufacturing of DeLoreans.
But that is not to say the parts you need in 2025 for your 2013 Durango will be sitting on the local dealer's shelves, but they will be in a central warehouse somewhere to allow Dodge to continue servicing the old vehicle. Olds, Pontiac and Mercury all died in the past 10 years but GM and Ford still have parts for them though it might take a couple of days to get them to your dealer.
Lastly I think there is a Federal law requiring auto manufacturers to keep parts available for 10 years after a model's death. After the 10 years they usually sell the left over parts to any of several firms dealing with exactly what you're worried about -- parts for orphaned models.
Go softly into the arms of Morpheus tonight, and let thy fears will be calmed.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Realdeal56
Rookie

Originally Posted by Orin500XL
There will be Durango parts readily available from Dodge for years, if not decades, to come. One of the reasons is because several models will use similar parts, and they always make more parts then they can use. Also, manufacturers don't want to tick off past customers (i.e., potential FUTURE customers) by leaving them high and dry.
For example, only about 9,000 DeLoreans were made from 1982-83 yet tons of parts are readily available. I've seen TV clips of a warehouse where all of the "orphaned" Delorean parts are kept, in fact there are so many parts available rumor is that some guy wants to restart the manufacturing of DeLoreans.
But that is not to say the parts you need in 2025 for your 2013 Durango will be sitting on the local dealer's shelves, but they will be in a central warehouse somewhere to allow Dodge to continue servicing the old vehicle. Olds, Pontiac and Mercury all died in the past 10 years but GM and Ford still have parts for them though it might take a couple of days to get them to your dealer.
Lastly I think there is a Federal law requiring auto manufacturers to keep parts available for 10 years after a model's death. After the 10 years they usually sell the left over parts to any of several firms dealing with exactly what you're worried about -- parts for orphaned models.
Go softly into the arms of Morpheus tonight, and let thy fears will be calmed.
Well there was no brake booster in this great warehouse in the sky U speak of. & i didn't have my awd durango for basically the whole month of feb where it snowed about 7 times. So from the brakes failing in the 1st place @ 24k miles & the experience I went thru after w/ the dealer flat out telling me they had no idea when the part from dodge was coming. I'm very very hesitant about getting 1 in the future. & that disappoints me cause visually I like mine & I love the changes they made to the 14.

Quick Reply: Would you buy another DD knowing they will discontinue?