3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Would you buy another DD knowing they will discontinue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:59 AM
coldsteel
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your trouble, but you do realize that Chrysler doesn't directly manufacture those brake components? They are ordered up from a supplier and there are bound to be defects in some of the millions of parts and subassemblies that they procure from outside vendors.

Unfortunately this time, you got bit. Did you ever consider that the reason for the backorder was because there was an issue with the mfr. of those boosters and perhaps Chrysler junked the lot and ordered new ones from another vendor.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:53 AM
NutmegState
Rookie

Originally Posted by Orin500XL
Lastly I think there is a Federal law requiring auto manufacturers to keep parts available for 10 years after a model's death. After the 10 years they usually sell the left over parts to any of several firms dealing with exactly what you're worried about -- parts for orphaned models.
Go softly into the arms of Morpheus tonight, and let thy fears will be calmed.

That is a myth. Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act only states that the manufacture must make repairs under warranty. They have no obligation to make or stock the parts themselves. What usually happens is that after they are done with a certain run of cars, they allow licensed parts makers to sell them on the open market. During the production run the parts makers are running a thin margin, once these parts can be freely made to the open market the price goes up and they make money on spares. And, they make a lot of it. As long as enough cars had been sold, they will have parts. 3rd party parts are easy to find for popular models. Certain wear items like brakes are again always easy to find. As cars hit the 10yr mark it get hard to find certain parts and you must hit junk yards.

There is no federal law but since the Durango shares so many mechanical parts with the Jeep, it will be easy to find mechanical items. Body parts, who knows.

The fact the D shares so many parts with its more expensive cousin the Jeep, means mechanical parts will be easy to find for a very long time.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:02 AM
NutmegState
Rookie

Originally Posted by Realdeal56
Well there was no brake booster in this great warehouse in the sky U speak of. & i didn't have my awd durango for basically the whole month of feb where it snowed about 7 times. So from the brakes failing in the 1st place @ 24k miles & the experience I went thru after w/ the dealer flat out telling me they had no idea when the part from dodge was coming. I'm very very hesitant about getting 1 in the future. & that disappoints me cause visually I like mine & I love the changes they made to the 14.

Not sure how many car forums you frequent, but your issue is not unique to you or this brand. You have had some bad luck. You could have had the same issue with a $70K Porsche SUV. Parts shortages happen. While the dealers could be more accommodating by offering a rental, this stuff happens.

There was a time when all companies took a wild-***-guess at what they needed and over stocked. Today with Just-in-time manufacturing they order just what they need when they need them and not a day sooner.

Each part is given some reliability factor. The more likely to fail, the more likely to be available sooner. If they are really so behind, then they did not expect many failures.

Sucks for you and many others like you -- you will have to wait.

I live in CT and have had as many snow storms as you in RI. I am driving a rear wheel sports car with snow tires. I have been able to adapt as I wait for my new D which will not arrive until the end of next month.

Last edited by NutmegState; 03-08-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Tvo-2

Originally Posted by NutmegState
I live in CT ... I wait for my new D which will not arrive until the end of next month.
hey nutmeg, I am in ct too..If you don't mind me asking - what dealership did you order your D from and how do you rate your experience thus far?

Old 03-08-2014, 09:57 PM
GDM
Professional

Yes....my '11 Durango is everything I thought it would be and more. I like the longer wheel base and extra hauling space vs the Jeep GC. If the 2015 where to be the last year Durango was produced, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Hopefully they are around for a long time.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Realdeal56
Rookie

Originally Posted by coldsteel
Sorry for your trouble, but you do realize that Chrysler doesn't directly manufacture those brake components? They are ordered up from a supplier and there are bound to be defects in some of the millions of parts and subassemblies that they procure from outside vendors.

Unfortunately this time, you got bit. Did you ever consider that the reason for the backorder was because there was an issue with the mfr. of those boosters and perhaps Chrysler junked the lot and ordered new ones from another vendor.
Buddy I don't care who manufactures the brakes. I bought my durango w/ 0 miles on it 2012. I didn't even hit my 2 yr anniversary & my brakes failed twice on me @ 24k miles. Funny how as soon as I got the owner of the dealership on the phone they had the part the next day. So spare me any lecture on part manufacturing. Just giving my experience w/ the brand

Old 03-09-2014, 02:43 PM
ufokillerz
Veteran

Buddy I don't care who manufactures the brakes. I bought my durango w/ 0 miles on it 2012. I didn't even hit my 2 yr anniversary & my brakes failed twice on me @ 24k miles. Funny how as soon as I got the owner of the dealership on the phone they had the part the next day. So spare me any lecture on part manufacturing. Just giving my experience w/ the brand
if the durango had 0 miles on it, that means they did not even test it for roadworthiness.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:35 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran

Sounds like you've got one "peach" of a dealer………and also sounds like you got a more trouble prone vehicle. It happens in any product line, but I think more often in American brands.

To sooth yourself you might want to surf Toyota forums, Honda Ridgeline forums, Ford forums, Acura forums etc., and see what percentage of the postings are for problem related issues. I think you might be surprised.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:40 PM
NutmegState
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tvo-2
hey nutmeg, I am in ct too..If you don't mind me asking - what dealership did you order your D from and how do you rate your experience thus far?
Tvo-2,

I went here:

Danbury Chrysler Jeep Dodge
100B Federal Road
Danbury, CT 06810

This was from a recommendation from my boss and my brother. My boss is a gear head and has restored two 69 Camero's and is very picky so if he liked them, I know they are giving him good service. He has 300 Hemi. My brother has a lease through his company for a Journey which they handle. He was very happy with the whole process and is still happy with service.

They seem to be very straight forward with their dealings.

They are however, very high volume and they also sell several other brands on the same lot. At times, it can be a zoo of cars and people. Everyone is very nice and responsive but be aware, they do have a LOT of customers at some times. I went on President's day and I had to wait 30min just to talk to someone.

Sadly, Jeep gets all the love in the showroom and the location of sales. Dodge is in the back and nothing on the show floor. They have plenty of Durango's to test drive and they sell a lot of RAM trucks to the construction companies so there is a lot of pickups on the lot.

Also, should you happen to work for a large company, that has an employee deal with Chrysler, you may be able to get into certain models a below invoice + incentives and they are one of only two in the state that honor that program due to their volume.

So far, so good. My Durango will not arrive until April 5th so will see how it goes after that.

My dealer for my Gen 1 Durango was Steven's in Milford, unfortunately they are not exclusively a Ford Dealer. The only guys I am not happy with is the dealer on Rt 1 in Milford. My alternative would have been the Dodge dealer in Ansonia. I also went to the guys in Southington but was not happy with the way I was treated and they guy who handled me knew little of the product he was selling.

Hope that helps

Last edited by NutmegState; 03-09-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Tvo-2

I appreciate the insight Nutmeg...

Quick Reply: Would you buy another DD knowing they will discontinue?