3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Shaking at lower RPM uphill

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 09:34 PM
dreaddinit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking at lower RPM uphill

Just as the topic says, my RT will kinda chug and shake going up hill around 2000 RPM. You give it more gas and it's fine. I noticed this in the chevy Cruz I previously owned as well. Never looked into it much though. Anyone experience this to? What is it? I figured its about the weight of the vehicle, low RPM's, and going up hill causing strain on the tranny. But I'm no mechanic.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:51 PM
rdkind62
Professional

Maybe the transmission is having a hard time finding the correct gear. I haven't had that problem in mine and I live in some very hilly (not sure that is a word) country.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:32 AM
NutmegState
Rookie

Originally Posted by dreaddinit
Just as the topic says, my RT will kinda chug and shake going up hill around 2000 RPM. You give it more gas and it's fine. I noticed this in the chevy Cruz I previously owned as well. Never looked into it much though. Anyone experience this to? What is it? I figured its about the weight of the vehicle, low RPM's, and going up hill causing strain on the tranny. But I'm no mechanic.

Have you tried using the paddles to downshift or upshift when this happens?

It is possible that the software for the tranny is unable to figure out which gear it should be for the RPM and road condition. The Durango also has long gears. If stepping on the go peddle works, I would not worry

Old 03-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Fullslp
Captain

On mine (RT) it's the torque converter locking up in second on the same hill everyday. The PCM is tuned for MPG and is commanding early lockup. Pop TOW on and it's gone or give her alittle more gas.

Quick Reply: Shaking at lower RPM uphill