2014 Durango question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:26 PM
retho78
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Durango question

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and was going through different posts and forums about the 2014 Durango. I currently do not own one but wanted to get some ideas before going any further.

I read some people had issues with transmission hard shift or shuddering on the V6 models, so not sure if this problem exist on V8s too. Also, would like to know the leg room space on the 3rd row seat and does the 2nd row slide forward like other vehicles out in the market now?

Also, if possible would like to know the cargo room space with all the seats up (cub.ft) please?

I do like the Citadel with all the options but prefer the RT grill, black accent headlights and wheels. Is it possible to customize a Citadel with these options and where?

Also, hearing the Durango might phase out, is that true?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:49 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much all of your questions can be answered by looking at the first page of threads here on the forum. As for your questions about the leg room space, it's best to just find one and test drive it and see for yourself. What may be comfortable for me in the 3rd row may not work for you.

The 2nd row does not slide back and forth, but I only have the bench seats, perhaps others could chime in as to the captains chairs and whether or not they do. I don't believe so though. The cargo space is listed on the dodge website under specs. I can't recall it offhand, but there's not a lot back there if you have the 3rd row up and in use.

I have an r/t. I do not notice any transmission issues that others are talking about on the V6 models. My understanding is that the trannys are different for the V8 and actually made elsewhere. This could explain the difference.

As for customization, you can do whatever you want as long as your wallet is willing. I suppose you could purchase the body parts and slap them on the Citadel. Even a dealer may be willing to do a swap for you. However, I would just point out that you can get everything on the R/T that you can get on a Citadel as far as options. My R/T has adaptive cruise, nappa leather, rain sensitive wipers, automatic adaptive headlights, power passenger and driver seats with power lumbar, power telescoping and tilting steering wheel.

In short, I don't think there's a single option that you can't get on the R/T that you can get on the Citadel. The main difference between the two is that the citadel gets side badgeing "Citadel" on the side, comes in a V6, and has all the chrome. If you prefer the body color trim and grill and can live with a V8 instead of a V6, then the R/T is where it's at for you. Also note however that you can't get a roof rack on an R/T. That's another major difference between the two. But as far as options are concerned, they are the same on both trims.

EDIT: And interior color is limited to black with red stitching on the R/T.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:56 PM
retho78
Amateur

Thanks for your reply. I like the bench option for second row but when I tried it on the dodge website for RT it wouldn't let me and then it changed few things around when I customize it.

I'll have play with it some more and see.

Also, I test drove the 2014 Nissan Pathfinder fully loaded and liked it too but not fully sold for it.

I like the power and rumble from the Durango V8.

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:04 PM
NutmegState
Rookie

Originally Posted by retho78
Hi,
Welcome to the forum
I'm new to this forum and was going through different posts and forums about the 2014 Durango. I currently do not own one but wanted to get some ideas before going any further.
I read some people had issues with transmission hard shift or shuddering on the V6 models, so not sure if this problem exist on V8s too. Also, would like to know the leg room space on the 3rd row seat and does the 2nd row slide forward like other vehicles out in the market now?
YMMV, seems some V6 may have a problem, the ones that I did a test drive did not and I did a test drive in 4 from 3 different dealers. If you have ever driven a manual car where you row your own gears, you know the feeling if you do not match the revs. That is what is most likely what is happening and may be fixed in software. The issue will be more pronounced going downhill but if you step on the brakes a little harder than you will probably not notice it because just like in a manual car you are slowing down to help the tranny match the revs. I do not know, other can chime in but the V8s I would find hard to believe have the issue.
As far as the seats, it depends on the option you get. There is a fold and tumble option. As far as leg room on the back bench seat, it is not uncomfortable and I am 6' 200lbs. Not sure I would like it there on cross country drive, but for a few hours it would be fine. I suggest you not believe any comments however and try it out for yourself at a dealer showroom.
Also, if possible would like to know the cargo room space with all the seats up (cub.ft) please?
See Durango website
http://www.dodge.com/en/durango/interior/

I do like the Citadel with all the options but prefer the RT grill, black accent headlights and wheels. Is it possible to customize a Citadel with these options and where?
- RT Grill = No
- Black Headlights = No
- RT Wheels = No, but you can purchase them seperately
Talk to your dealer, if you have a lot of money to spend anything is possible and some dealers are more accomadating than others otherwise as you can see from the posts around here, if you are comfortable doing some DIY you can do it all your own
Also, hearing the Durango might phase out, is that true?
Yes, but nobody knows when. It will not completely phase away however, it will become a Jeep Somthing and will have a Jeep badg

Please let me know.
Thanks.
Seriously, spend some time on the Dodge website. You can download the brochure and look at options and there are plenty of reviews online as well then finally take a trip to your dealer and test drive the options you want. Nothing is like actually experiencing it yourself

Old 03-12-2014, 05:15 PM
retho78
Amateur

Thanks again. I used to drive stick years ago and do know how the transmission feels.

Also, the 3rd row with seat up (cargo measurement) doesn't show on the website.

I do a lot DIY so maybe an option to look at.

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:58 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Thanks for your reply. I like the bench option for second row but when I tried it on the dodge website for RT it wouldn't let me and then it changed few things around when I customize it.

I'll have play with it some more and see.

Also, I test drove the 2014 Nissan Pathfinder fully loaded and liked it too but not fully sold for it.

I like the power and rumble from the Durango V8.

Thanks.
The bench option is the default option. You sure you're not selecting the captains chairs?

Old 03-12-2014, 06:01 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Thanks again. I used to drive stick years ago and do know how the transmission feels.

Also, the 3rd row with seat up (cargo measurement) doesn't show on the website.

I do a lot DIY so maybe an option to look at.

Thanks.
17.2 cu. ft.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Dodge_Durango/Interior/

Old 03-12-2014, 08:44 PM
weatherlover1

Originally Posted by mcfarl58
Plus you get the storage space in the cubbie in the back. 3.8 cubic sq feet and if it has the subwoof back there its 2.45 cubic sq feet. I googled it today. Found a good write up about it.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...ace-.html#more

Old 03-12-2014, 10:06 PM
retho78
Amateur

The bench option is the default option. You sure you're not selecting the captains chairs?

Oh! Okay, I will check the site again and thanks to the cargo trunk space dimensions. The reason I was asking about the dimension is to compare with other mid size SUVs on the market now.

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Wash Man
All Star

It has the same as the Tahoe

No link? Limited visability is an issue with all cars now. Back windows aren't as big as they used to be. But they don't need to be now that rear backup cameras are standard fare. And yes, it's mid-size (a big mid-size, but mid-size just the same). Full size SUVs are GMC Yukons, Suburbans, etc. Think truck frame.
Hmmmmm.......looks like the Tahoe is "mid sized" as well.....

2014 Tahoe:

Measurements
Width: 79.0 in.
Height: 76.9 in.
Length: 202.0 in.
Cargo capacity, all seats in place: 16.9 cu.ft.
Maximum towing capacity: 8500 lbs.
Maximum payload: 1633 lbs.
Gross weight: 7100 lbs.
Curb weight: 5467 lbs.

2014 Durango R/T:

Measurements
Width: 75.8 in.
Height: 70.9 in.
Length: 201.2 in.
Cargo capacity, all seats in place: 17.2 cu.ft.
Maximum towing capacity: 7400lbs.
Maximum payload: 1340 lbs.
Gross weight: 7100 lbs.
Curb weight: 5133 lbs.

Last edited by Wash Man; 03-12-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Durango question