3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Getting my 2014 R/T Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 01:57 PM
Fullslp
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orin500XL
I thought HP ratings -- since 1972 -- were supposed to be net, not gross meaning the HP rating is taken at the wheels not at the crank. Dodge advertises 360HP on the Hemi so I assumed the dyno would reflect that, yet it is only 268HP. As you said, that represents a 25 percent driveline loss, which is a pretty typical loss rate for most cars.
So did the manufacturers go back to gross ratings or am I missing something?
They are rated Net just at the flywheel (360hp) manufacturers do not advertise wheel horsepower. The transmission, gears, tires etc, all soak up a crap load of power.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:01 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Originally Posted by Orin500XL
I thought HP ratings -- since 1972 -- were supposed to be net, not gross meaning the HP rating is taken at the wheels not at the crank. Dodge advertises 360HP on the Hemi so I assumed the dyno would reflect that, yet it is only 268HP. As you said, that represents a 25 percent driveline loss, which is a pretty typical loss rate for most cars.
So did the manufacturers go back to gross ratings or am I missing something?
All Manufacturers post Crank HP
Most AWD drivetrains lose 30% or more
Most 2wd's lose about 20% so its really not that bad.
Gen 1 Durangos lost about 33%-35% hp thru drivetrain
STEVE

Old 04-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Fullslp
Captain

When manufacturers made the switch from gross to net numbers they simply used a fully dressed engine with all accessories. However this also coincided with a massive power loss from manditory emissions equipment. This is why a chevy 350 in a vette went from 375hp to 155hp the next year. THANK YOU EPA

Old 04-29-2014, 02:27 PM
ufokillerz
Veteran

Originally Posted by inyadreems
Sweet! We gotta hook up on SI after it is all done so I can check it out.
Ripp will tell you that my car needs a good detailing hah, both times i showed up with one dirty Durango!

Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 AM
GotRPM
Professional
Cool

I thought HP ratings -- since 1972 -- were supposed to be net, not gross meaning the HP rating is taken at the wheels not at the crank...
This is a gross misunderstanding of the terms. Net differed from the gross rating because the former had the exhaust, air filter, alternator, fan, water pump and all normal accessory drives in place. The old gross hp was with all these removed. For example the old direct drive clutchless fans could suck up over 20 hp just by themselves....

Old 04-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GotRPM
This is a gross misunderstanding of the terms. Net differed from the gross rating because the former had the exhaust, air filter, alternator, fan, water pump and all normal accessory drives in place. The old gross hp was with all these removed. For example the old direct drive clutchless fans could suck up over 20 hp just by themselves.... .

Yeah, and pity the poor Ford -- or any manufacturer -- salesman who had to explain to customers why their new '73 Mustang 302-2V was rated at 155hp (net) vs the identical engine in a 1972 car was rated at 210hp (gross).
At the time we were told the switch from gross to net was a government mandate to ensure that customers got "accurate" information. The lower rating was also blamed on the new emissions equipment. While the emissions equipment DID reduce performance the reduction was no where near the 20-25 percent evidenced in 1973 models (55HP in the case of Ford's 302-2V).
Which makes me wonder: was the switch from gross to net a government mandate or was it simply and agreement among the manufacturers? I still don't know.
So somewhere along the line the manufacturers apparently have gone back to advertising gross HP?

Old 05-03-2014, 11:41 PM
GotRPM
Professional
Cool

So somewhere along the line the manufacturers apparently have gone back to advertising gross HP?
Not at all. There is a lot of power loss in the drive train, a loss of 50+ hp is normal. Too, there is a large difference in how hp is measured by the manufacturers and the aftermarket. BHP is brake horse power, but most real-wheel dynos measure inertial horsepower...a much different method so the results of the same engine measured by each method would be different. And different rear-wheel dynos measure power differently - A Mustang dyno will give marked different hp readings on the same vehicle than will a Dyno-Jet for example. Neither is "wrong" but they are different.

Bottom line, if wanting to measure power differences you need to use the same dyno, same vehicle before and after installing any power adder and compare the results across the entire rpm range.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:39 AM
redalty
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been a few weeks, anything new happening here?

Old 05-18-2014, 01:14 PM
FrankADavisJr
Professional

Yes, I would like to know how the supercharger worked out. Any measurements taken? (before/after dyno, 0-60, 1/4 mile).

Most importantly, was it worth the money and would you do it again?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:09 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

updates??

Quick Reply: Getting my 2014 R/T Supercharged