3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Cold Air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:53 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvrSnake
Just put in a MOPAR CAI today. I have a plan for the gaping hole that is left after removing the stock air inlet box.

The Jeep GC SRT8 has a blocker plate that goes into this location. It comes in on Tuesday, $9.00 part, and I am going to have to cut a piece off of it where the angled piece sticks out on the front left with the foam on top. On the JGC the blocker sits behind this, ours is designed different. Other than that it is pretty much the same.

I will post back up the results, good or bad. It should look like it is factory when I am done and not leave a silly looking hole with the weather stripping just flapping around.
I cant believe they just don't make a better seal for that. AFE has a simple 4" bung that bolts to the metal air box. Seeing that pipe just slid through a gapping hole just isn't right. Not knocking those who have it but it could have been designed a bit better in that aspect.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:00 PM
SlvrSnake
Rookie

Originally Posted by MIKEon22s
... Seeing that pipe just slid through a gapping hole just isn't right...

I'm sorry but I couldn't resist. This is something I don't care to see either!

I agree with your first comment about the CAI tube. That was not what I was talking about though. I was referring to where the weather stripping is.

Last edited by SlvrSnake; 04-06-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:29 AM
LCF
Professional

Guys, what about this one?
Would you advise this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-2011-DURANGO-3-6L-Secret-Weapon-R-Cold-Air-Intake-System-Kit-/271336803138?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item3f2cef0b42&vxp=mtr

Old 04-07-2014, 07:57 AM
salrt
Professional

I noticed a little more throttle response but nothing note worthy as far as gas mileage. I got the synthetic, so no oiling is required. I will probably look for an inlet tube to get rid of the stocker. The heat shield has a slot for the stock air inlet to bring in cold air, which I liked...

Old 04-09-2014, 01:10 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed the CAI from K&N yesterday. One of the easiest things I think I've ever done on a car. The hardest part for me was the last step of putting the engine cover back on (the amount of pressure you have to put on the top to get the grommets to click back in is insane). Took about 45 minutes I would say with 10 of it getting a step ladder so I could get some leverage to push that cover back on the engine and getting it to snap back in.

Definitely notice an increase in acceleration and the noise is intoxicating. Too early to tell about MPGs, but the brief hwy run yesterday showed about the same (18 mpgs at 80 mph).

Old 04-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Wash Man
All Star

Originally Posted by mcfarl58
Installed the CAI from K&N yesterday. One of the easiest things I think I've ever done on a car. The hardest part for me was the last step of putting the engine cover back on (the amount of pressure you have to put on the top to get the grommets to click back in is insane). Took about 45 minutes I would say with 10 of it getting a step ladder so I could get some leverage to push that cover back on the engine and getting it to snap back in. Definitely notice an increase in acceleration and the noise is intoxicating. Too early to tell about MPGs, but the brief hwy run yesterday showed about the same (18 mpgs at 80 mph).
When you need to remove and install the engine cover pull out the dipstick and get a little oil on your finger then rub it in each of the four grommets it will then pop on very easily otherwise it is really a pain if not impossible to get seated

Old 04-09-2014, 05:10 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Ok, question for you guys. My wife noticed today that the exterior temp displayed on the EVIC is reading 32 degrees and not moving. It's not 32 degrees out. This was just noticed today, so she's assuming it's something to do with the CAI I just installed. Any suggestions?

Old 04-09-2014, 07:46 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Originally Posted by mcfarl58
Ok, question for you guys. My wife noticed today that the exterior temp displayed on the EVIC is reading 32 degrees and not moving. It's not 32 degrees out. This was just noticed today, so she's assuming it's something to do with the CAI I just installed. Any suggestions?
Nevermind. Turns out the computer just needed to reset. Turned the car off and on a few times and now it's working again.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:10 PM
n10ss1
Amateur

hey, JustinK...Everywhere I look, I see that the AFE MagnumFORCE Stage-2 PRO 5R is for FORD trucks. I'm not finding anything AFE for DODGE. I just picked up my 2014 DD R/T. I went with K&N for my Charger..but was considering AFE. Where did you purchase it..if you don't mind my asking?

Old 05-10-2014, 01:15 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

Quick Reply: Cold Air intakes