3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:32 AM
fuzzyb
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GDM
Wondering if most or all alternator issues are with the 160 amp alternator. I have the towing package and heavier duty alternator in my '11 Crew (I think 220 amp output) and have not had an issue with mine (56,000 miles). Anyone with the tow package alternator experienced issues with their's failing? Just curious.
Not sure whats going on with my Durango but it fits everything here. Have a 2011 Citadel with tow package (so I think we have the 220 amp alternator). Started the Durango and ran it for 20 seconds (to move it). Turned off the car then with the motor off smoke started pouring out of the Alternator and it didn't stop (see pic). I frantically figured out how to disconnect the battery before the car burned to the ground. I measured the temp of the alternator with my IR temp gun, 390 degrees (with the engine cold and battery now disconnected).

I couldn't even get it out of my garage as all the current the alternator was pulling wouldn't allow the engine to start, starter just clicked. I wanted to move it out so if the car burned to the ground I wouldn't loose my house too.

Put a new Dodge $600 alternator in the Durango, still not charging so a flat bed took it to the dealer yesterday evening.

Highly disappointed that this is even possible on a 4 year old vehicle with 53k miles. This is what my kids get transported around in (2 & 4 year old). Still have the old alternator (melted bad). The wife has a video of the smoking alternator too. I imagine I probably need a battery too as it was probably damaged from current draw.

2011 Dodge Durango alternator smoking

Old 09-24-2015, 08:27 PM
jnschnit
Rookie

Fuzzy - Similar problem with my 2011 crew with the 180 amp alternator. After replacing the alternator it still wouldn't charge. Had to replace the PCM, dealer said that it was common for the Alternator to take out the PCM. BTW- Took 3 weeks to get the PCM which is on national backorder.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:32 AM
fuzzyb
Rookie

Thanks for the info, you were right too.
The dealer replaced the PCM, lucky this (PCM) was covered under warranty. Too bad the $600 alternator was not.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:59 PM
jnschnit
Rookie

Dealer covered mine under warranty also, but like you I had to eat the alternator cost.

Quick Reply: Alternator