3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2011 Durango Citadel Dash Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 05:34 PM
reese.reimers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Durango Citadel Dash Rattle

Hello, hoping to get a little assistance on this one. I have a 2011 Durango Citadel with a dash rattle that I simply cannot track down. It has been back and forth to the dealer over the course of a year and then warranty is nearly up. So far they have tried all parts of the TSB for the hood hinge pin ranging from adjusting the alignment of the hinge to replacing the pivot bolt and that did not resolve the issue.

The noise seems to be coming from within the dash, behind the driver's side vent. I have tried holding down the defrost vent (as I heard that is one possible cause) that did not prevent the issue. It also is not the rear view mirror cover, center speaker cover, parking break (also heard that as well). I also checked the side mirror as I have heard it can be a root cause as well and it appears to be as tight as possible.

Please take a look at the video in the link provided and let me know if you have any input as to where to go from here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9e...it?usp=sharing

Old 05-28-2014, 08:31 PM
D3-Blk-Hemi
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Same issue on my 2012 and have tried the hood TSB as well? Would love to know what it is! It seems to come and go and is less prevalent after driving or sitting outside in the rain.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:32 PM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

That sucks. Sounds like you are on a concrete freeway, right? I imagine you drive that everyday and are about to drive the thing into a wall.

I hate rattles and squeaks.

Definitely sounds like the noise is in the dash. Like metal on metal. But small parts.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:00 PM
reese.reimers

Thank you very much for the replies. It really only does it when it is hot and dry, it didn't really do it during the winter. It sounds a lot like what is going on with your's, D3-Blk-Hemi.

In this video I was actually in town driving roughly 35 MPH. Sometimes it when driving down the freeway a slight bump will jar something - causing the rattle to start. I have also had it start rattling just from the MDS kicking in.

I have had it to the dealer quite a few times and even went on a test drive with the services manager where the noise was able to be replicated. Any ideas of someone else to contact - either Chrysler/Dodge Customer Care that may be able to shed a little more light on the subject to the dealer?

Old 05-29-2014, 09:09 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by reese.reimers
Hello, hoping to get a little assistance on this one. I have a 2011 Durango Citadel with a dash rattle that I simply cannot track down. It has been back and forth to the dealer over the course of a year and then warranty is nearly up. So far they have tried all parts of the TSB for the hood hinge pin ranging from adjusting the alignment of the hinge to replacing the pivot bolt and that did not resolve the issue.

The noise seems to be coming from within the dash, behind the driver's side vent. I have tried holding down the defrost vent (as I heard that is one possible cause) that did not prevent the issue. It also is not the rear view mirror cover, center speaker cover, parking break (also heard that as well). I also checked the side mirror as I have heard it can be a root cause as well and it appears to be as tight as possible.

Please take a look at the video in the link provided and let me know if you have any input as to where to go from here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9e...it?usp=sharing
I am sorry to hear the rattle noise is not resolved. Do you hear it with the HVAC operating in the panel mode? If so, there is a tsb the dealer can review if related to your condition. TSB 24-007-11-The customer may experience a whistle or rattle sound from the dash while the HVAC is
operating in panel mode with the blower speed set to 2 or 3 bars.
To correct this condition the service port was moved from the A/C suction and liquid line to the A/C suction line.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:46 AM
reese.reimers

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
I am sorry to hear the rattle noise is not resolved. Do you hear it with the HVAC operating in the panel mode? If so, there is a tsb the dealer can review if related to your condition. TSB 24-007-11-The customer may experience a whistle or rattle sound from the dash while the HVAC is
operating in panel mode with the blower speed set to 2 or 3 bars.
To correct this condition the service port was moved from the A/C suction and liquid line to the A/C suction line.
Thank you for taking the time to reply! Actually, the rattle happens with the HVAC system on or off - the setting does not matter. To me, it seems like this is such an uncommon issue that a TSB being issued is unlikely.

I am also curious if something was damaged in the door panel when that was removed and if that is resonating in the dash somehow. Back story with that: I was sold the vehicle with the front windows tinted which is illegal in my state. Then salesman assured me that they were not tinted and were within the legal limit. Well, the officer who pulled me over that evening thought otherwise. As it turns out, they were much darker. So, in the process of removing the tint, the dealer managed to melt the weatherstripping on the top of the door panel on the driver's side and they also melted a hole in the door panel on the passenger's side. As much as I doubt that is causing any issues here, I have to wonder.

Anyways, thanks again for your replies. I have been dealing with this for far too long and need to get it taken care of. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2011 Durango Citadel Dash Rattle