3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Best all season tires for winter area's

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:35 AM
nicola.dinisio
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have recently bought the Nokian WR SUV 3, 265/50/20 (http://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-ty...auton-renkaat/)
I have done 4.000 Km already with them from the beginning of December, through Germany, Switzerland and Italy, also crossing the Alps. I am very satisfied with them.
Impressive performances with both (heavy) rain and sleet. I will test them on real snow this coming weekend when I will go skying
Formally they are Winter tires, not all seasons. But they have characteristics that make them a good choice as all year tires, for places that do not get too hot in the summer.
They fare pretty well on the economy side and on the comfort side (72 dB), here is the info label they have to provide in Europe to compare this tire to others

http://www.reifendiscount.de/de/reif...tml#label_info

Nokian is a Finnish company, I guess they know how to make good tires for mud, snow and ice and if you are moving to Alaska, maybe this is the kind of tire that would better fit the bill for a reasonable price.

Last edited by nicola.dinisio; 01-21-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Thekoning
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on nokian
But as Nicola said you cant use them if your summers are hot, theyll just be useless after using them in the summer because of the soft rubber compound. Not the best all season.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:20 PM
zaktrafton
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any thoughts on the general grabber hts? They make them in 265/60-18 and 265/50-20. Both oem sizes. Where I live we see similar ice and snow as Alaska. I'm not happy with my Cooper weathermasters and looking for something I can use all year but has some bite off road for mud season.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:25 AM
sgedicks

Originally Posted by coldsteel
I'm amazed that you got that much out of them. Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas are definitely a superior tire, although they do cost twice as much unless you snag a deal or live in Shenandoah and not NoVa.
My local Dodge dealer in Front Royal priced the Goodyears at $180 each and the Bridgestones at $256 each. I expect to pay that much for a good tire any more...

Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Jhochst

tirerack.com has great comparisons and rankings based off users. I have great luck with them researching tires.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:30 AM
TaraM

Thanks for the info everyone!

Quick Reply: Best all season tires for winter area's