3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Best all season tires for winter area's

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 01:02 PM
TaraM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best all season tires for winter area's

So I'm moving back home to Alaska and don't want to deal with the hassle of changing tires back and forth every summer/winter with studs. Anyone who lives in winter areas what's the best all season tire you recommend? I have the stock 20's on with Goodyear Fortera's now 265/50/20. The Fortera's don't seem to do great when it rains here in Texas so I can't imagine they would do well in the snow!

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:28 PM
kell4life
Rookie

I'm sure there's a few that are pretty good but, I have the Yokohama parada spec-x. They handle just fine and I drive up in the mountains to Telluride from Denver quite often.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:46 PM
coldsteel
Captain

Do you have the OEM Forteras that came from the dealer or have you replaced them yet?

The OEM Forteras are made specifically to Chrysler's specs and only last about 30k miles.

I replaced my originals with Goodyear spec ones and they have been wonderful and have a significantly different rubber compound and treadlife.

I have 30k+ miles on the new ones and they are barely worn yet.

I think the Goodyear set are great all around, but Chrysler should stop selling vehicles with 'trial size' tires.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:54 PM
TaraM

I bought it used and it has 64k miles from a dealership. They looked almost new so I'm pretty sure they replaced them with new stock ones. I'd heard good things about the Michelin latitude touring hp's??

Old 01-20-2015, 04:34 PM
sgedicks

Just got home from getting the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's on the 2012 Citadel. We get our share of ice and snow here in the Shenandoah Valley. I was not really impressed with the Goodyears - they lasted 56,000 miles - but weren't great in the rain & snow.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:25 PM
coldsteel
Captain

Originally Posted by sgedicks
Just got home from getting the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's on the 2012 Citadel. We get our share of ice and snow here in the Shenandoah Valley. I was not really impressed with the Goodyears - they lasted 56,000 miles - but weren't great in the rain & snow.
I'm amazed that you got that much out of them. Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas are definitely a superior tire, although they do cost twice as much unless you snag a deal or live in Shenandoah and not NoVa.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Thekoning
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man, forteras are brutal in snow.
I went with the new Bf Goodrich ko2's.
I'm confident enough to say they are THE best handling tire in snow, that is still an all tertian/all season tire.

Last edited by Thekoning; 01-20-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:14 PM
TaraM

I have looked at the BF Goodrich but can't find them in the 20 size so i would also have to buy new wheels :/

Old 01-20-2015, 07:20 PM
macatowa
Rookie

Well i have gone through two set of Lattitudes and now i'm on the Goodyear Wranglers and i'm liking them in the snow the best so far, the lat's where good as well but not as aggressive in the tread area. I have 111,000 mile on my 11' Express AWD.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:38 PM
HillBillE
Professional

For wet, snow and ice, the tire needs a lot of sipes.

I usually run Cooper tires, even the touring tires on my wifes Vue work great in the winter.

My '09 D1500 came with new Good Year Duratracs (20") and they have been working great this winter.

They are on the aggressive side for an AT, but not bad for year round driving.

Quick Reply: Best all season tires for winter area's